best filter for planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I was leaning towards a canistar filter but most of the filter is for bio filtration which isn't need for a planted tank. I want to add CO2 DIY and avoid CO2 losses to that atmosphere.

Fluvals seem affordable, are they any good?
Eheim has their old shool models and the new Ecco models. The new ecco models are cheaper, are they junk?
What about Rena Filstar's they are in the middle price wise

I was also looking at power filters and foam filters?
Aquaclear power filter
Powerhead (under water) and foam block

The tank will be anywhere from 29-35 gallon tank.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
If you can afford it, go with the Eheim and get one that is rated at one notch over the size of your tank. Most of them come with spray bars making it possible to direct water flow away from the surface and you want good circulation.
I would caution against getting an under powered cannister filter.

Len

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
I also agree with the eheim. I say for that size tank, go with a classic series 2213. I use a 2213 on a moderatly stocked 38 gallon and it works great. The flow rate is not very high but I believe because its got good filter media capacity, it works well and is a bit more efficient than higher flow rate filters of the same price.

Last edited:

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Why would one need an expensive filter with a lot of bells and whistles for a planted tank? It seems to me that the plants do most of the filtering of ammonia/nitrate, so a large amount of biofiltration media wouldn't be necessary in a filter (bacteria in the filter would only be competing with the plants for food). I would think that the main role of a planted tank's filter would be water circulation for oxygen and large particle filtration.

I use a Fluval internal filter. Simple sponge filtration for large particles and because it's inside the tank, there is no surface agitation/CO2 loss.

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Ms.Bubbles said:
Why would one need an expensive filter with a lot of bells and whistles for a planted tank? It seems to me that the plants do most of the filtering of ammonia/nitrate, so a large amount of biofiltration media wouldn't be necessary in a filter (bacteria in the filter would only be competing with the plants for food). I would think that the main role of a planted tank's filter would be water circulation for oxygen and large particle filtration.

I use a Fluval internal filter. Simple sponge filtration for large particles and because it's inside the tank, there is no surface agitation/CO2 loss.
I am very divided on this issue also, I might end up making my own cheap sponge/power filter combo but I am still looking at the options.

Jay-Stew

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
26 miles North of Lake Erie
I use a EHEIM 2213 on my 65 G with a powerhead at the other end to circulate water. I see some of you say go with a larger than recomended filter. Is mine sufficient, and why would you go larger?

John N.

AC Members
Feb 1, 2006
California
Most people get a more powerful filter so they won't have to worry about adding a powerhead when the plant load gets heavier, thereby reducing circulation. Circulation is key for removing dead leaves and detrius. Also, circulation moves our added nutrients, ferts and C02 around for the plants to uptake.

Bells and Whistles:

The spray bar provides additional control over which part of the tank gets circulated, and the bigger media basket with canister filters allow one to put filter floss in there to "polish" and clean the water for that extra clear shine.

The more expensive Eheim types are bought because they function silently or near silent. Verses other filters (filstar) where you will hear a hum or the slight sound of rushing water through the hoses. However Eheim and filstar, and their equivalents (fluval) are equally good at providing the necessary filtration.

Jay-Stew: I would say since you're running a powerhead, and a 2213 then you are on the borderline of providing good circulation, but not great filtration. I have a 2213 on a 29 gallon, and notice it circulates water decently. I imagine any higher in gallons, the filtration and circulation wouldn't be as great.

-John N.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I have a Rena Filstar XP3 and I would recomend it for a planted tank. However the XP3 model might be large for your tank. They do not come with any media for bio filtration so you can easily put in filter floss or whatever you want just to run the unit as a mechanical filter or mech/chem filter. Thats the nice thing with canistars, there pretty customizable. :clap:

Jay-Stew

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
26 miles North of Lake Erie
John: Thanks for the info. I use a Aquaclear 50 powerhead, maybe I should consider attaching the add-on media basket to it for extra filtrartion? I wish i did get the 2217 now but it could be worse !! Any thoughts to make this a better tank in regards to filtering?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store