Yellow tang sick... need help identify problem?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tntman

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2005
Hi,

My yellow tang developed this white spot on its body and its fin was damaged as well. Can someone help me identify what it is? Since this occured the tang stopped eating. The white spots has now turned into a brown/dark color.

What is wrong? Can you please help? thanks

Et

YellowTang_resize.jpg

reefrash

bartender another round of skimmate
Dec 1, 2005
Montara, Ca.
www.robincampbellband.com
It's difficult to make a diagnosis by looking at the pic, it could be fungal or bacterial. Did the fish suffer some sort of trauma? You mentioned the fin was damaged could another fish be picking on it? Can you quarantine it? We need more info such as H2O quality, maintenance routine, food etc. Tangs are hardy fish and tend to bounce back pretty well, with good water quality and lots of good food.

tntman

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2005
The fish was brought into the tank on Sunday, it ate a bit on the day and then it hasnt eaten since. It developed the white marks on its body on Monday, then today those marks appear darker in color. He is swimming around the tank but it's not eating and im worried about those marks. I have tried feeding him Tetrafin Algae Flakes, Tetrafin Marin Flakes, Tetrafin Marine pellets, Brine shrimp.

I'm going to try lettuce or seaweed next... I'm hoping that it can eat and fatten up.. All the other fish are eating well with no bodily damage.

The tang's fins arent damaged in anyway.

Water quality -

Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.4
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Calcium - 400ppm

Is there any medicine that I should give it? Last night I put in Melafix, hopefully it can destress and bounce back!

Thanks for replying reefrash!

moose05m

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2006
This is what I was told to do with my purple Tang,
I was told to take him out of the water and do a fresh water dip for three minutes. If he freaks out take him out of the water immidiately. Then I was told to place him in a quarantine tank. Add a chemical called quick cure, cost me 3 buck at a local fish store. You can actually treat the main tank as long as there are no inverts in there. I contains no copper but is a high dosage of medication. Let someone agree with me before you do anything as I am no expert but this is what I had to do for mine.

reefrash

bartender another round of skimmate
Dec 1, 2005
Montara, Ca.
www.robincampbellband.com
Your water quality looks kewl, unless it gets much worse I'd keep tempting it with good food, but be careful not to overload your system. If your water quality suffers it surely wont eat. Melafix is a good product, just be patient if the little guy has some mass it should bounce back, I've seen tangs rise from the dead...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store