Algae eater for 10 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tetra lover

AC Members
Dec 29, 2002
Visit site
I have 6 white cloud mountain minnows in my 10 gallon tank and was wondering what type of algae eater I could put in.

Thanks for your suggestions!

catjo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
New Braunfels, Texas
Visit site
I agree with cdawg. Even a couple in a 10 gallon will do a great job of algae control. Be sure to feed them once the algae is all gone-they enjoy algae wafers and will eat flakes if they can get to them. Best of luck!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Otos are great for brown algae....Amano shrimp are great for 10 gallon tanks as well, and a bristlenose would live just fine in a 10.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Otos are good for that size tank.

No, a bristlenose is not good to put in there. It will get to be around 5-7 inches which is just too big for that tank. It will be unhappy since there isn't much room to move around. The need a large tank to swim around in and explore. No pleco is good for a 10g tank. Stick with otos as they are probably the best algae eaters.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
NJ Devils fan is probably right...my bristlenose is around 3" and is growing slowly, but a grown 5" bristlenose probably would be just a bit crowded in a 10...I withdrawl my previous statement. Though if you have a larger tank to transfer him to, a young bristlenose would clean up a 10 very well...just make sure he has some driftwood to chew on. If your tank has live plants, then a crew of otos and amano shrimp would be excellent.

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
They will get a little too big, if the bristlenoses will--they reach a just slightly smaller size, so I stick with Otocinclus as the best bet.

Speck

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
I've got 3 dwarf otos in my 10 gallon planted tank and they keep it completely algae free. I just got them recently, and I love them. Before I was constantly trying to keep algae from growing on my java ferns, etc. and now my planted tank looks beautiful, I hightly recommend them. BTW, white clouds are what I have in my 10 gallon also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store