platy with clamped fins

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drjlb

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
I have a sunburst platy with clamped fins. She's been this way for about a week. I moved her to a hospital tank. Water is fine. No ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates 10-20ppm. All of the other fish in the community tank she came from seem fine. I thought it was some type of fungus and used anti fungal meds. A week later and she seems to be getting worse. No other visible signs of anything wrong. Any ideas?

TommyR

Add water, makes it's own sauce!
Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
drjlb said:
I have a sunburst platy with clamped fins. She's been this way for about a week. I moved her to a hospital tank. Water is fine. No ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates 10-20ppm. All of the other fish in the community tank she came from seem fine. I thought it was some type of fungus and used anti fungal meds. A week later and she seems to be getting worse. No other visible signs of anything wrong. Any ideas?

The fish could just be ill. Just keep an eye on it is all you can really do. Platys are cool but I found they are not really hardy fish. I have lost 3 in the past 3 weeks. They don't seem to last very long, maybe one or 2 years tops.

Tom

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
What size tank and what other fish?

drjlb

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Right now, a 10 gal quarintine by herself. Normally a 29 gal with 4 other platys, 5 zebra danios, 5 harlequin rasboras, 2 CAE, and 3 cories.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have had platies live for a few years before, but generally (IME) when they get clamped fins I haven't been able to make them get past that and they generally die within the month. I have tried warmer water, daily water changes, melafix, and even salted water. Hopefully this won't be your experience. I can't urge you enough though to do lots of freshwater changes and provide lots of hiding spots as they can get very shy at this point.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
Try treating for internal parasites with medicated food? Worth a shot of you're not seeing any improvement...the meds won't harm your biofilter.

drjlb

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Yeah, I did a 75% water change last night and treated with Prazi-pro. I'm going to start her on the parasite food this evening. Her dorsal fin is up today. First time in a week and a half. Her tail is still not right though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store