50g brac questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AwCrimety

AC Members
Mar 1, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I'm new here, and thought I'd throw all my questions in at once. :)

I have a 50g tank with a fluval 303 and an aquaclear 200. The salinity is set to 1.0010. I have a 1 1/2" GSP and a 1" figure 8, two 3" monos, and a 4" columbian shark.

My first question is about the columbian shark, (five fin shark, black fin shark,...whatever their called) This is my second time trying to keep a pair of them,...the first pair lost all their color, and died in a month,...and the same happened to one of the second pair, while the last shark has lost a bit of color but seems to be okay other than he has not been active at all since his buddy died about a month ago. He just sits around, should i get him another one.

I'm also starting to have a horrible algae problem, i have white gravel which is slowly turning green. The stuff on the glass is not so bad, as it scrapes off no problem, but my gravel vacuum does not pick up the algae. As far as i know there are no algae eaters the survive brackish,...except i've heard Mollies will eat it, will they survive in my tank, and would a pair of Mollies eat enough for it to be worthwhile getting them?

My last question is that my puffers don't seem to grow too fast. I've had them for about 8 months, and they've barely grown, other than rounder. ;) They eat anything i put in (flake food, pellets, guppies, ghost shimp, snails, salad shrimp, and i recently tried fresh mussels, which they loved but it seemed to have left an oily residue on the water surface) Are all of those foods okay, and are they normally slow growers?

Okay,..thats it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Most people have pretty slow growing puffers. Mine (GSPs), on the other hand, grew from 2-5" in just 6 months. It sounds like you're feeding & caring for them correctly. I fed mine a lot of bloodworms in addition to what you are feeding.

I don't know what is going on with your columbian sharks, except that a lot of wild-caught fish come in with internal parasites. I treat with Discomed, by Aquatronics, whenever in doubt. It may also help with your puffers growth.

I always have something green/brown growing on all my tanks w/puffers. I think it is probably because they are messy eaters & there is a lot of leftover food that causes the algae to grow. Sorry about the white gravel. You may have to change it, or just learn to enjoy the green.

AwCrimety

AC Members
Mar 1, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Thanks! The sharks will be fine for about a month when i get them, and then all of sudden they turn down hill. I just bought a 'target' puffer, and added him to the tank. The store advised he should be okay. However he proceeded to nip everyones tail, regardless of him being a fraction of their size! Anyway, he's in a breeding net now, and i'm hoping to take him back and trade him in on a new shark.

Just didn't get an answer on the Mollies,...would they live in my tank or is the salinity too high?

thanks for you help

CHughes

AC Members
Mar 8, 2003
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I don't see why the Mollies wouldn't survive in that salinity. It's only mildly brackish...and besides for the cost of a Molly it is certainly with a try!

I don't know whether they will solve you algae problem though. Any of the one's I owned didn't seem interested in algae.

moose1960

AC Members
Sep 8, 2002
Trenton, Ontario
Visit site
Columbian sharks or Arius seemanni usually require a specific gravity of 1.005 to 1.015 to keep them happy. They should also be in schools of three or more and you will notice more movement and sycronized swimming. They do get duller/grey with age but not after a few months. Strong water currents are also helpfull, and a large tank. They have been known to also go to full marine. I have Also sail fins in my tank which will handle higher brackish waters, and yes mollys can also go to high brackish.

bestbet98133

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
re: mollies for algae control

re algae: Just wanted to respond to your mollie question-

I have bred and raised these wonderful fish. Unlike info. out there......I have had no problems with the black strain. And, yes my mollies do a great job at eating algae. They eat from all levels of the tank and even pick algae off the glass. They also love to eat live brine shrimp, so they get a well-rounded diet. Watch out for getting a male and female unless you want babies! If not, then all females would be better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store