Opinions on Cory Cats

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Favorite type of Cory

• Julii Cory - Corydoras julii

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Sterba's Cory -Corydoras sterbai

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Other Cory - Post your favorite species

Votes: 44 69.8%

• Total voters

TDWagner

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
I'm kinda torn deciding what type of Cory to keep in my 55g as cleaning crew.

The main school will be Boesemani Rainbowfish, and I definitely want a few Siamese Algae Eaters in there too.

My water is pretty alkaline and hard. The pH is on the high side 8.0-8.5.

Right now I think it's down to either:

Julii Cory - Corydoras julii
-or-
Sterba's Cory - Corydoras sterbai

Who has an opinions between these two variety or votes for other Cory (that will enjoy my water)?

VTwinFanatic

Endlers
Mar 17, 2005
North Carolina
My personal favorite is the panda cory, but i dont know that i would suggest cories with the alkalinity and hardness of your water. Cories tend to do better in moderately hard to soft water and a neutal to slightly acidic water. Have you thought about doing african cichlids? They LOVE the high pH and Hard Water. Just a thought with that water chemistry.

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
For me it's a toss up between pandas and albinos! Both are just so darn cute and full of personality!! I currently have 3 pandas in my community tank and when my new 50g is finished cycling I plan on having a mix of pandas and albinos. :D

TDWagner

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
VTwinFanatic said:
My personal favorite is the panda cory, but i dont know that i would suggest cories with the alkalinity and hardness of your water. Cories tend to do better in moderately hard to soft water and a neutal to slightly acidic water. Have you thought about doing african cichlids? They LOVE the high pH and Hard Water. Just a thought with that water chemistry.
Yeah, definitely looking at cichlids for my second tank. I'm going community for this first one, then most likely a cichlid tank after a few months (MTS is powerful, huh?!?) :)

The alkalinity question is one of the reasons for starting this thread. I've done lots of research, but the problem is it seems like every fish profile website shows different pH ranges for the same species so it's hard to know who's right. Then on top of that there's so many people in the forums that say don't worry about pH so much because most fish will adapt just fine.

I'll keep researching and carefully considering before actually taking home any Corys.

Thanks for the advice!

TDWagner

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Bitsy said:
For me it's a toss up between pandas and albinos! Both are just so darn cute and full of personality!! I currently have 3 pandas in my community tank and when my new 50g is finished cycling I plan on having a mix of pandas and albinos. :D
Hmm...pandas are jumping out to an early lead! Keep those votes coming!!

Thanks Bitsy :)

Iguanamom

AC Members
May 30, 2005
My favorites are actually not part of the corydoras family, but the brochis. Brochis Splendens - the Emerald catfish. They get about 2.5-3" and are a lovely, shimmery green. Good personalities. Of course you'll need to see if they are appropriate for your water conidtions & tankmates.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
VTwinFanatic said:
Hold a secky-decky. Alkalinity is not a measure of water hardness. It's just a measure of how acid or alkaline the water is. My pH runs from 7.4 to 7.8, but my water is fairly soft at 5 dGH, not hard. Although I doubt it with the pH running ast high as 8.5, it's quite possible that his water might not be ideal for cichlids and he may have to buffer up the GH a bit. No way to know unless it's tested with a GH kit. But, cross that bridge when you get there, right? ;)

Anyhoodle, since we don't know the GH and you have a high pH, I will say that I have quite a few corycats that have always done well in my pH of 7.4-7.8. So, the alkalinity shouldn't be a problem for them, really.

Roan

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store