You've Got Goos! Babies in da House!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I was checking out my Boesemani/Goo tank for problems. . .okay okay, no I wasn't. I was sitting in front the the tank watching the Goo obos traipsing about the bottom and admiring the really nice male I have and I saw something out of the corner of my eye. At first I thought it was one of my MTS tunneling through the gravel, but no, it moved again -- real fast and jerky-like.

IT WAS A BABY GOO OBO!

I'm a Goo Boo MOMMY!

I was not counting on any hatchlings in the big tank. I figured either the eggs would get eaten or the Boesemani and Goos would eat any fry, but it looks like they're really good at hiding :)

Crossing my fingers that they don't all get eaten, but I have 4 more gravid females so it looks like I'm gonna have more Goos whether I'm ready or not.

Heh.

Roan

Brody

AC Members
Apr 27, 2005
LV
Congratulations!

Mine would always get eaten. Probably because it's a small tank, or the dad eats them. That's why I decided to seperate them this time. I'm hoping for atleast one more female, seeing as I only have one right now, and the males are really beating eachother up. I'm in the process of setting up a 40g for the new babies, and the other non breeding goo's. I'm going to leave the breeding pair in my 20g, and the 10g will go back to a quarantine/fry tank.

My 10g is doing good, and the fry are growing fast. Unfortunately I still need to do a full test on the water and post it.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Man, I've got mostly females! I'll test my tank tonight and post.

OH! I was trying to get your attention, which is one reason why I started the thread (I hate sending PMs with information that is better shared or searchable).. anyhow I got an email from Tanner on some Goo information I asked for. He send me info from Kent Webster on breeding the Goos:

This part is from Tanner:
Hey,, I did see your post online about the goo. For sure you want to breed the best looking male to the best looking FM. I sent some of the comments to Kent and this is what he had to say about the comments on inbreeding and the goo.​
From Kent Webster:
"The Goo-obo line is extremely inbred. All the Goo-obo's descended from one female who spawned with three different wild males and her own sons. From there on, all males and females were paired up according to whom was the best colored, without concern of who descended from whom. I really can't guess how many thousands of Goo obos I have seen. But I can tell you that maybe; I have seen only two or three crooked backs. No other deformities have ever been seen and the fish is hardy and more productive then ever. Interestingly, I can't say the same for the Peacock Gudgeon, as I see about a 10% cull rate do to crooked backs. If done properly, you can inbreed indefinitely. It's safe to say most all the lines we are all working with are all very inbred. I have a great deal of experience in working with wild caught lines. I can say that a properly inbred line is superior to an out cross or even the wild stock. In this case, an out cross is unlikely. So,, Inbreed away,( only perfect fish) and don't worry about it."​

Thought this might be useful information down the line.

Brody, do any of your Goos have blue eyes? I have three that appear to have blue eyes. One of them has *really* blue eyes. Very pretty.

I've one male and two females that have awesome coloration. The male has the "blood" lines around his mouth, yellow along the tops of the dorsal fins and blue eyes. The females are the dark color with the bright orange-red bellies. Those are the three I want to breed.

Roan

Brody

AC Members
Apr 27, 2005
LV
That is exactly what mine look like. The dominant male is bright yellowish/tan with red stripes on his face, blue eyes, and of course the yellow stripe down his back. All the other males get less vibrant as you go down the pole. My female is darker with the orange belly. When she's ready, her colors get better, and that belly gets huge!

I was wondering about inbreeding, thanks for the info.

I have four babies and their doing good. The dad ate all but about 10 eggs, and unfortunately four was all that made it. That's really cool that yours are surviving in the tank, when I move I will have more room and I might get another 135. It would be cool to have a planted tank that size full of these guys.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Here are the stats on the tank the Goos bred in. Note that it's night time and I just took the water sample, so the CO2 is off, pH is up and the KH probably down a point:

pH 7.4
Temp 78*F
dKH 6.0
dGH 10.5
Ca 60
Mg 9.2
Fe .1
NH3/4+ 0
NO2 0
NO3 7.0

Yesterday's day time reading: pH 6.6, KH 5.0, CO2 35ppm

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Emg said:
Congratulations Roan !!!

Many healthy happy baby goos to you !! :dance:

Could we get some pics ?? :D
Heh, if I could see them for more than a second, sure :)

I've only seen one and I'm thinking not many, if any, are going to survive.

I've had my Boesemani with platy fry and they really didn't bother much with them unless the fry swam too close. Then they had a snack. However, early this evening I saw Duffy and Rina (big red male, big female) under the driftwood very close to where I think the fry hatched. They never go under there. Rina was going through the debris on the ground. I think they were both fry hunting. Never seen this behavior before. Either they like the taste of Goo fry, or they are exhibiting more "natural" behavior for their specie. Except for the Goo and a couple of shrimp, they are in a species only tank.

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Brody said:
That is exactly what mine look like. The dominant male is bright yellowish/tan with red stripes on his face, blue eyes, and of course the yellow stripe down his back. All the other males get less vibrant as you go down the pole. My female is darker with the orange belly. When she's ready, her colors get better, and that belly gets huge!
You're not kidding they get a HUGE belly! I've got, I think, three darker ones and two of them look like they are going to explode. Two of the other females' colors look more like the same shades as the males. The two males I have are both brightly colored, but the top guy is awesome as you say.

I was wondering about inbreeding, thanks for the info.
So was I ;)

I have four babies and their doing good. The dad ate all but about 10 eggs, and unfortunately four was all that made it. That's really cool that yours are surviving in the tank, when I move I will have more room and I might get another 135. It would be cool to have a planted tank that size full of these guys.
Man, I would love a 135g. My next tank (should be about 3 weeks from now) is another 75g, but I managed to buy two lots of pagwi from Tanner. The pagwi is the fish that Kent brought back from Irian Jaya with the Goos. They live in the exact same spot, Goo obo Falls. So, the last tank will have nothing but pagwi, Goos and some red-nosed shrimp from Irian Jaya. Trying to make it as "biotope" as I possibly can. Hoping to get some better pics of the area and (crosses fingers) an idea of the plants in the water there.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store