setting up discus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

taimoor86

AC Members
Aug 29, 2005
need suggestion

hello,
i am interested in setting up tank for discus so i need some suggestions

i have a pentagone tank. its 3 sides 18 inch long, two sides are 6 inch long and the height of water it can hold is 18 inch too.

i am thinking about keeping two or three discus along with a pair of a small blackghoast knieffish(because i have heard tht their growth rate is very slow) and two amano shrims.And in decoration i will going to use rocks and 4 to 5 live plants. fo filteration i have undergravel filter anf sponge filter with powerhead.
wht u guys think will this setup work
thanx

Last edited:

kcooley

freeswimming
Dec 14, 2005
MN
for discus you need atleast 10gallons per fish. ATLEAST.

for live plants you dont want undergravel, it sucks away nutrients.

get a 45G or larger tank and 2-3 discus would be an option.

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
Unless you are very rich, Amano shrimp would be too expensive for feeding to discus. ;)

This sounds like a good tank to be used for smaller community fish. I am guessing it is the type that is made to fit into a corner. I think you would have great fun making this into a planted tank> I envision some cories and a school of tetras and maybe a couple others that catch your interest.

I is a very neat tank, but just not quite right for discus. I'd love discus too, but am too worried about how much work it can be to keep their water perfect, especially since my local water is nowhere near ideal for those beautiful fish. One day when I can get a R/O water treatment system, then I might be able to give discus a try.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store