help.. 2nd naso tang dead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 5, 2005
This is the second time that I got a Naso tang and had it die before the end of the first week. I have no idea what so ever the cause of death. Other fish are fine, I have put the seaweed in there for him to eat... but he prefers to eat off my rocks.. none of the other fish attack him.. he is very nice to other fish.. and then he dies in a week.... HELP..

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Tangs do not belong in 40 gallon tanks. Period. Your tank is massively overstocked, especially when considering adult sizes.

pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 5, 2005
The lack of swimming space is the cause of death?

I was planning to upgrade in a few months.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
There are several issues. One is general crowding. Too many fish, especially for a tang that likes a lot of elbow room and high oxygen levels.

I am not normally a member of the tang police, but a PB and naso tang in a 40 are way beyond reasonable stocking. That PB tang will get to at least a foot, and nasos get to two feet. That tank is too small for one small tang, and it's way, way too small for two big species.

Maybe other people will have something more positive to say, but the problem will be solved with appropriate stocking. The cowfish (too large, messy fish) and PB tang should go before they succumb as well.

Pineapple

Love4Monsters
Dec 11, 2005
Pineapple said:
“Your tank is small for this fish load. You may have aggression once they reach a certain size, or death.”

Attachment is a funny thing, but you should look for the best interest of these animals. Always strive for the best environment possible. I know I would be upset if I didn’t have elbow room. In fact I’m sure there would be a riot. I would like to a big fish in a big pond than a growing fish in a little pond, or living in my closet with others than oppose to living in my house. ;)

“Don’t take this the wrong way; you have a system that is capable of having some of these fish thrive.”
I’m surprised your clowns are getting along.

Last edited:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
pufferfish said:
I was planning to upgrade in a few months.
I'd wait until then to try another naso - these fish get BIG and want lots of room to swim. Ditto the PBT, and I agree the cowfish is also too large and messy to work in a 40g long term. When you upgrade, go as big as you can. Honestly, for the huge fish you want to keep I'd aim for a tank over 200g so they have enough room to run and grow.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Atleast 7ft, i think oxygen lvls would have done it, especially if you got quite a lot of algae, really in your tank, you should have the percula clowns, coral beauty and the lawn mower blenny, the tomato is too agressive, and, all the other grow to big. And then i would leave it at that or add another very small fish.

pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 5, 2005
Thanks a lot everyone... workers at petco were very misleading about my stocking issues...

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
the petco from my area is a really good store, no they dont know everything but they have several books they will look through to see if they can give you the answer. were your naso tangs tank raised or recently wild caught. wild caught naso tangs notorious for biting it from starvation. i have raisedi couple in a tank for other people, with a wild caught one it is good to have a naso already feeding on sevral kinds of food, i have never had a problem with one i put into a tank that had a naso already feeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store