Question about aquarium cycling and quarantining

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
I just read daveedka's great article on ich and he raised a great point about the need of a quarantine tank being part of "best practices" of aquarium keeping. With all of the discussion here about accerelated cycling techniques (using Bio-Spira, etc.), I'm wondering how accelerated cycling and fishless cycling accomodate a quarantine, in the interest of "best practices" aquarium keeping.

So, I should quarantine new addition candidates before putting them in my main display aquarium to make sure no new diseases or parasites are introduced into the main aquarium. Cool. How about when stocking my aquarium initially?

When using an accelerated or fishless cycling technigue, the idea is you add your stock all at once. Shouldn't that stock be quarantined first? I mean that last thing I would want to do is dump several potential ich carriers into my main display aquarium resulting in my having to treat whatever beakouts occur.

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess this thread sort of illustrates what I'm asking about in this thread.

Peace...

Last edited:

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
I have a thread in the newbie forum with this exact problem. I added all of my fish after the fishless cycle ended. So now I have ich. I think that maybe as a best practice you should wait 2 weeks before getting shrimp, frogs, and plants :eek: .

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
hurricanejedi said:
I have a thread in the newbie forum with this exact problem.
Ok, so we have at least two threads (here is hurricanejedi's thread) that demonstrate the problem (or potential problem) I'm asking about in this thread. :)

Sorry to hear about your ich problems, HJ.

That's why I started this thread. I think it's worth discussing how quarantining fits in with the various cycling methods dicussed here, especially the accelerated methods.

Peace...

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Peace...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store