Clown Fish Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

louiesowner

AC Members
Feb 24, 2006
We have a 35 gallon salt water tank. We have a filter, a protein skimmer and a air pump. We have about 15lbs of live rock, a hermit crab and a snail. We just added 2 tiny clown fish. They don't even have their second white strip yet. They seem to be swimming only near the top of the tank and not going down where the live rock is. Could this be because there is to much water flowing everywhere? How strong are they for swimming closer to the bottem? We haven't had much luck with clown fish, but thought we would try one more time. This time with no damsels in the tank. Just the 2 clown fish. The protien skimmer is new too, so hopefully that will help. Any advise would be greatful. We want these to work out for us this time.
Thanks,

Stefani

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Has the tank cycled?

Clowns tend to 'hover' when they are first introduced, but should start exploring the tank and eventually find a place to claim. If they haven't started exploring within 2-3 days of being introduced, and you know the parameters are good, then you can consider issues like too much circulation--but honestly, these animals live on the reef, where there is ALWAYS a lot of water current. They can take it.

louiesowner

AC Members
Feb 24, 2006
yes the tank has cycled. we have had damsels in it for about 2 months. just got rid of them and added the clown fish. all levels seem to be good. water looks good and the protein skimmer looks like it is doing it's job. We don't have much for light, but that will be our next big purchase. The clown fish look ok, just keep swimming around on top. Will watch them and see how it goes. I have turned the filter and skimmer down a bit so that it doesn't flow as much and every so often i turn the air pump off, but i am not sure how important that is to a salt water tank.
stef

louiesowner

AC Members
Feb 24, 2006
no idea about our turnover rate. our salt water is in the normal range. 1.022 is it too salty and maybe they are just floating? it is very wierd. They eat the food easily, just seem to want to stay up top. It looks like they have to swim harder to get lower in the tank. Maybe because they are so small. If they are an inch big that is doing good.

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
I just set up my SW tank a week ago and the day after putting in rock and substrate, I added two clowns and a damsel. The clowns bolted to the bottom with the rock, and the damsel did the same. Maybe it's the age of the clowns?

Gibbon

The Fragger
Feb 25, 2006
www.gilnet.co.uk
Lack of Air

Another thing this could be is lack of oxygen in your tank, make sure you dont have a film on the top of your tank (look up at the surface from underneath) that is stopping oxygen enter your water.

This is a stab in the dark though as you said your damsils are ok.

Maybe those meany dammies own the bottom have and told the clowns to stop up there! :)

Gib

louiesowner

AC Members
Feb 24, 2006
I don't see a film. We have an air pump that puts in air into the tank too. The damsals are gone but maybe they left their Karma LOL
We will phone the pet store where we got them and ask them. Thanks for the ideas folks.
Stef

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
louiesowner said:
Here is a picture of our tank - any advise would be great about it.

The clowns aren't at the top, and i think it is just normal behaviour, also air bubbles cause salt creep, so you may want to buy a powerhead for adding oxygen instead of the air bubbles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store