hemorrhagic septicemia--effective meds???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
Does anyone know what the most effective medication is for hemorrhagic septicemia? I have a couple angelfish that are showing symptoms and I moved them to a quarantine tank. I think they got it from a smaller one that I brought home that died. I have treated for a couple days with Tri-sulfa and it doesn't look like it is getting worse, but it doesn't look like it is improving either. I know it is a gram negative bacteria, but can show resistance to many meds. Has anyone had any success treating this disease? What meds do you recommend?

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
I would hit it with a broad spectrum antibiotic. Maracyn + Maracyn 2 at the same time should take care of most of the specimens. Maracyn 2 is primarily for gram negative bacteria and Maracyn for primarily gram positive but it does kill some gram negatives. These antibiotics have been designed to work together. Just keep tank lights off when you use them as they are photosensitive. Your water will become muddy looking towards the end of the treatment cycle but it is harmless.

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Oh one more thing. Make sure you treat at full strength for the entire length of time that the instructions specify. You don't want to be breeding antibiotic resistant bugs. I am not sure if you know this already but I caution everyone about this whenever I reccommend antibiotics.

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
I have heard people have had mixed results with Maracyn 2. After doing some more research on h.s., I found a few places on the internet that said only oxytetracycline will work affectly against this bacteria. Does anyone have any experience using oxytetracycline?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store