Carpet anemone?? good or bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clos10

jrwarrior23
Feb 6, 2006
Rohnert Park, CA
Ok, so my local store just got in a beautiful huge carpet anemone, at least 10 inches across . Im really tempted. I've done some reaserch and have gotten mixed information. They are hard to keep and that they are the hardiest of all the anemones. Which one is it?The guy at the store told me they are easy and that they just need a some good lighting. Im afraid he was just trying to make a sale. Nways I want to hear some of your experiences with these anemones. should I risk it? I have a 75gal reef set up. I know it needs to be kept away from corals and some of my fish might be eaten . Im afraid my tank maybe too small for it. wow, they are just sooo nice I WANT IT!! :)

drew2582

-The holy hand grenade-
Dec 1, 2005
Ive never had one but the guy at my lfs reached under/around one to get my bta and got his arm stung right in front of me. And he showed me all of the stings that he just recently got from that single one. Sounds like they can pack a pretty big punch

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Carpet Anemones are one of the few types that can pierce human skin with thier sting, and HURT like heck, they also get HUGE, and have a big appetite, and that 10" carpet can get to almost 20" depending on species

clos10

jrwarrior23
Feb 6, 2006
Rohnert Park, CA
Im really not worried about it stinging me, I mean you could always wear gloves or just be super careful besides I dotn plan on moving it around , it moves on its own. But yeah I wouldnt want it to sting. Im just wondering on how hard it is to keep one alive.

stevew

Been There, Done That...
Feb 25, 2006
Germantown, MD 20874
I had heard that they were hard to keep, but that has NOT been my experience. I've have a large, bright green carpet that's survived for at least 6 years and still going strong. I have a 300 gallon reef with two 400W MH 10K, one 175 MH 10K, two 96 Watt CF, and four 48" VHO actinics (which are down right now for repair). The carpet is settled in an area under one of the MH at the bottom with it's foot in the substrate and it's fairly surrounded by live rock. It also gets light from the CF and VHO, so there's plenty of light. And the tank has very decent water movement. I think that lighting is key. I don't even feed it directly, but have a mated pair of black and gold saddleback clowns that feed it. I believe that between the lighting, host clowns, and iodine, this anemone thrives.

As for stinging, keep you hand out of it. Fish aren't stupid and if you have clowns, they'll keep other fish and inverts away. I've never lost anything in this anemone. Once it settled down (and the clowns help with that too), it doesn't disturb the rest of the tank. The same can not be said for green bubble tips. I had one that kept splitting and eventually had five of them moving around the tank. They had to go. I think that having a clown or mated pair really helps and are a must for keeping anemones happy and healthy for the long term. If you get the carpet, try to get a nice pair of clowns to go with it, but they have to be ones that work for that type of anemone like saddlebacks.

Good luck.

clos10

jrwarrior23
Feb 6, 2006
Rohnert Park, CA
Thanks steve I think Thats what I Needed to hear a SUCCESS story. Im gonna get it. 300gallon reef? wow, thats awesome. I dont know that Im gonna be able to get a clownfish though I have a lionfish. I woudlnt want them eaten even though my lion is fairly small around 4 inches. But thanks

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Please do a lot more research than just this post before jumping in an buying one. For every success story with anemones there always ends up being tons of failures.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
I think with the correct parameters and stable conditions, MH lighting i think there will be no problem.

Pineapple

Love4Monsters
Dec 11, 2005
The clowns would be desirable because it will feed the anemone. That Lionfish will destroy water quality in a 75 if it’s a Volitan…. Some things are better left at the LFS. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store