Pirhana dressed as a Clownfish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamesThomas

Registered Member
Nov 21, 2005
Hi all,

I've had a skunk clown in my tank for about a month now. He seems real happy (eating fine, swimming fine, etc.) and is hosting a BTA. He's getting on fine with the cowfish and koran angel in the tank but... whenever I stick my hand in the tank he turns into an evil SOB! He'll take a run up from across the tank and bite the back of my hand. I don't mean a little nip, he'll have a bite and hang on! As soon as I take my hand out he'll go back to being a docile happy chappy. It's odd that he seems to be so territorial towards me but is absolutely fine with his tankmates (not all of whom were in when he was put in). Any ideas what I can do to chill him out as I'm getting tired of having bite marks on my hands! :rant:

Cheers,
James

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Clowns are territorial, doubly so when they're hosting. Short of dosing the tank with Valium there's nothing you can do to 'chill him out' - the behaviour you describe is normal. You can wear gloves; he'll still bite, but you won't end up bleeding :)

BSea

Registered Member
Jan 3, 2006
My tomato clown does the same thing, even draws blood sometimes. It definately makes it tough working in the tank. I do notice that if I feed before sticking my hand in then she is much more interested in the food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store