6 gallon tank...too small for cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

A2B-Civic

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2006
I am starting a new 6 gallon tank, I've been thinking of getting cichlids, I am guess probably going to get 3 max (hope all to be about the same size). Am I in for trouble since these fishes are pretty terrortial? There is one at the local aquarium for $20 and its blk with white spots (quite cool looking) and then I figure I am going to get 2 more...less $$ ones....

I am going to get a few plants as well and places for them to hid as well..

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
the only chiclid capible of living in a 6gal is the shelldweller

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
Too Small!

Most dwarf cichlids require upwards of 20 gallons. You'd be better off spending the extra $ and getting at least a 10 gallon and no more than 2 tiny ones which will not be bigger than 2-3 inches when they are full grown!
Cathy G
p.s. Look around for used tanks - they come cheap! You can get great deals on tanks and hoods if you hunt for them.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
The only cichlid I would recommend for a 6 gallon tank would be a pair of lamprologus "Brevis" shellies.

They get about 3 inches....BUT....they only wander about 6 inches in any given direction from thier shell. They have a very small territory and a 6 would be just fine for them......no more than one male and one female though....

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
By chance was the cichlid you saw one of these: (click on the first photo)

http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.cgi?db=fresh&uid=default&ID=0353&view_records=1

Definately require a larger tank than 6-gal (I'd go with a 75-gal for this particular species).

If the fish in the first photo is what you saw (Tropheus duboisi) just be aware that that is the juvenile coloration scheme (color pattern changes as they mature). Also be aware of the adult size of the fish. While some pair up, most african cichlids thrive in groups (6+), and are territorial by nature. Kept in lower numbers may lead to aggression issues.

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Yeah, ditch any other cichlid you've been considering for that 6 gallon...with the exception of the "Brevis"....2 of those can do very well in a 6 with no problems...of course, you'd have to find other homes for any fry they may put out for you.....

To have two brevis in a 6 they would have to be one male and one female, not two males or two females... The males are larger than the females, and if you find any brevis at an lfs...pick the largest one and the smallest one in the tank. That way you'd have the best chance of getting a pair.

A2B-Civic

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2006
By chance was the cichlid you saw one of these: (click on the first photo)

http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.cgi?db=fresh&uid=default&ID=0353&view_records=1

QUOTE]

I am not sure if that is the one I saw, its the closest I've seen. The place only had 1 and it was only about an inch in size! As for the fish shops I've been to locally, I haven't had much luck getting names of them. In most cases, its "african cichlids" $5.99...hahaha..that is as much info was presented.

Thanks for the suggestions emg

I'll try my best to see i can find any lamprologus "Brevis" shellies.....I'll be doing my fish hunt this coming weekend. The picture helps too!!

Cheers!!!

Last edited:

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
A single male of one of the smaller Apistogramma species can be maintianed in 6g with say 2-3 whiteclouds. A. trifasciata or A. borelii would work, but if all you have is lfs with "assorted africans" the chances of finding Apistos are slim and none. Find a small privately owned lfs that specializes in fish only if you can.

Brevis is a good choice if you want a pair. I also think multis would work, but some might dissgree on that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store