HELP with Ich and Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bzboy

AC Members
Nov 4, 2004
One of my lionheads has ich on their heads and i was wondering if anyone has used the salt treatment with goldfish. My water temp is currently 75 and i'm slowly raising to 80. I'm more concerned with the salt and how goldfish react to them. I have orandas, lionheads, and ryukins. Thanks for replies

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I treated my Orandas with salt, and *slightly* increased temps. They stressed when I put it above 78*, so I had them at 77*.

If you are keeping it at a lower temp, just treat for 14 days after the last spot disappears. They'll be fine. Mine went 14 days.

I'd put a bubble wand in the tank to increase the gas exchange since goldies are really O2 intensive.

Roan

bzboy

AC Members
Nov 4, 2004
Roan thanks for the reply. Can you tell me your salt regimen? How much salt for a 90 gallon tank?

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Last edited:

Cobra302

AC Members
Feb 1, 2006
sorry to add to this thread, but i have a question about the salt and ick. i have devloped a case and have raised the temp to 84-85, and used 2 tsp of salt per gallon in my 55 gallon tank. 110 tsp total. my question is this.....do i keep adding more salt daily or only once? i've read, and printed the article on ick for future reference and cant (or am too blind to see) if i only need to add once and let the magic happen so to speak. thanks for all the help.

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
salt won't leave your tank through evaporation. So once your at your recommended dose, you don't have to add any salt. if you need to top of your tank, do it with freshwater with no salt. the only way to remove salt from your tank is through waterchanges. Remember though the more your tank evaporates, the stronger the salt (higher SG) left in the tank will become. when doing waterchanges until your tank is cured, mix the salt in your bucket instead of dumping salt directly into tank, it takes time to mix in. Hope this helps

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Cobra302 said:
sorry to add to this thread, but i have a question about the salt and ick. i have devloped a case and have raised the temp to 84-85, and used 2 tsp of salt per gallon in my 55 gallon tank. 110 tsp total. my question is this.....do i keep adding more salt daily or only once? i've read, and printed the article on ick for future reference and cant (or am too blind to see) if i only need to add once and let the magic happen so to speak. thanks for all the help.
You only add the total amount once. The only way to remove salt is via water changes, so you only have to replenish the salt when you do that.

When you do a water change, keep track of how much water you remove and add enough salt to the new water to keep up the total amount you have in your tank: ie if you change out 10 gallons of water then add 10 teaspoons of salt to the new water and add that to the tank.

If you are using a Python and adding water directly from the tap into a pre-dechlorinated tank, premix all the salt thoroughly with new decholorinated water and add it slowly at the same time you add the new water from the tap.

Roan

Cobra302

AC Members
Feb 1, 2006
ok, thanks. i added the salt two days ago, some of the fish seem more active, but the spots havent fallen off yet, still watiting and watching.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store