large old man made pond what to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
I have a 100foot x 50foot pond in my yard it looks like a swamp but is like 12' deep and artificialy made 20 years ago.
The top is thick with duckweed.My question is how much of a clearing would I get from a luguna 3000 pond fountain set(1296GPH)
Another question is how could I tell now if this pond could winter gold fish and koi next year.Could I drop a therm down to the bottom?test for oxygen content?
Any sugestions would help will post pics as soon as I learn how.

Becides the goldfish might eat some of the fog of mosquitos that comes off that pond all summer.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
That's half the square footage of a typical new subdivision lot!!

Has it been left to 'go natural'? I doubt a Laguna 3000 will begin to touch it. That's a lot of water. Your filter system would clog so quickly, your head will be spinning. There's a gallonage calculation I need to go look up - I'll do that in a second.

With a 12' depth, there should be no problem in the winter - as long as there is unfrozen water in the bottom. And you can't let the top freeze solid, for air exchange purposes.

If the thing is in poor shape and had no fish in it at the moment, I would suggest a natural approach. Start removing the duckweed manually (with a pool skimmer) and maybe introduce some grass carp to get an ecosystem going. They might just eat the duckweed, who knows? For oxygen, if it needs it, designing a waterfall might be better than counting on a fountain, as the pump to the fountain will probably clog fairly quickly.

Okay LxWxD = cubic feet. 7.5 gallons of water per cubic foot. You have 450,000 gallons of water:eek: I will trade you my 300 gallons for it!! The Laguna's flow rate is 1296 gal/hr, so it would take 347 hours to turn over the volume of the pond, if it were even possible. I think it's recommended that you turn the entire volume over once or twice/hr.

I'd rule out something you need to maintain and go natural. It may take some cleaning up first, but get the right plant and aquatic life in there and things should even out and begin to take care of themselves. I'd love to see pics - do you have a digital camera?? Is it dirtbottom, liner, or concrete?? Give me more info - I'm intrigued! The fact that you are breeding mosquitoes tells me that there are probably no small fish living in it. A really cheap way to find out if the water will support life would be to get several hundred minnows or shiners when the farm supply stores sell them for pond stocking (here it's the third week this month). If they survive, they'll eat the mosquitoe larvae, and provide food for anything larger you might want to put in there later. Just a thought.
judy

ps: I wouldn't go wading - someone may have released something in there you don't know about ;)

Last edited:

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
12 foot deep?? whoa...thats nearly double my height! id fill it in by at least 8 foot if it really is that deep....i dont see a point in having a pond any deeper than 3 foot. the oxygen at the bottom will most probably be near 0, and you would never see any fish down there. a pond the size of yours could do with water lily covering to keep it cool in the summer sun, but you would never get any to grow tall enough to live in your pond. if you were to fill it up, then i would use an inert cement, and even then seal it with a sealant paint to stop it leaching chemicals to be on the safe side. but those measurements have really stunned me...you sure you got them right?

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
It is full and never seen the water level change more than an inch.
It the corner of a 200acre wetland they blasted the pond out with dimamite long time ago.I have a huge weeping willow over one end trees on the other side to privatize it from the mass feild like wetland I can mow up to the edge in the front with a nice solid two foot high dirt bank to the surface of the water
the rest of it could be mowed right up to the embankment.About a 20-25 ft wide marsh like slew leads it to the wetland for water to come in.the pond doesnt stink I think it just needs some oxygen.
The over growth come from the high phosphates in the water I have one of the biggest comercial green houses in the state bordering the same wetland 1/2 mile down the road we everybody around including me and them use wells and septic tanks:(
Judy I just got a cheap digi but me and the wife cant get the pics down to size to post.And I'm freaking out I've wanted to show you guys my pond/yard/tanks/kids and of course me :rolleyes:

The Idea for the pump/fountain was to make a floating dock for it and make a 4'x4'x6' window screen cage under it for the pump to draw debris free water for a week or more with out pluging and keeping the pump at surface level would ensure I got that 1200+gph. I know it wount clear the entire surface but a 15-20 foot clearing would be nice also on the dock could mount my luft pump and a big air stone.

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
How big are the pics? You could email me a couple and I'll see what I can do with them. I'm on cable modem, so download time isn't a problem.
judy

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Re: Large old man made pond...

Just how large was the old man that made this pond?

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
I tryed to send to some one allready and was wrong the wife will help to night the pics are cool but you cant see the pond.I was going to drive my car out on it to show you guys out there what I ment buy freezing but the wife shot that idea down fast:( There is over 10" of ice in the middle and 2' from shore still 10" but two foot from shore there is 4' of unfrozen water under that ice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store