Moving thing around: fish prefer the same setup forever or like having things moved

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
I'm planning on redecorating my tank to give more space to my growing rays, and this question jumped into my mind:

Fish prefer a stable enviroment or they benefit from gettin the decor moved once in a while to give the impression they are in another place?

NOTE: For stable enviroment I mean keeping the decor always in the same place, not water quality.

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
Thats an interesting question. My thoughts would be that they like a changing environment. In the wild the lakes and streams and such that they live in are constantly changing and evolving. My logic could be flawed but that's my idea. :dance:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Deoends by what you mean. Yes, some things will change in wild environments, but usually associated with a 'big' event--spring flooding, for example. Changes disturb their territories, and force them to learn where hiding places are, where food is, etc. Changing things up periodically isn't bad, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to change their tank around weekly, or even monthly.

kyazh

AC Members
Feb 28, 2006
Glendale, Ca
I refreshen my tank about every 6 months or so. The fist need a week or so to get used to it again, but it doesnt nessesarily harm them.

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
I usually change my tanks around when I add new fish. This gives every fish a fresh start to establish new territories and prevents the newcomers from being terrorized. Otherwise I don't see a use. It might stress out the fish for a day or two but I don't see this harming them but I agree with OrionGirl. Don't do it unless you absolutely must.

Primetime

AC Members
Nov 12, 2005
rrkss said:
I usually change my tanks around when I add new fish. This gives every fish a fresh start to establish new territories and prevents the newcomers from being terrorized. Otherwise I don't see a use. It might stress out the fish for a day or two but I don't see this harming them but I agree with OrionGirl. Don't do it unless you absolutely must.
Thats a pretty great idea! If I knew that earlier, I'd do that when the Cories were added so the Apistos wouldn't kill them :( .. Good idea for the future though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store