KH and Crushed Coral

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Hi, a while back I posted about some concern I had on my 72 gallon tank with a low buffering capability (KH) even though my Total Hardness and PH were where I wanted them.

The problem seemed to correct itself a bit and I was testing out at 80 ppm on my KH which would be fine - but now I am back to between 0 and 40ppm

So I decided to start adding some crushed coral to my sump (based on the previous suggestions - I think this is my better option than Baking Soda). I started with a one big handul on day 1 and added another big handful on day 2 after seeing no change but so far haven't seen much in the way of tangible results.

My question is based on your experience using crushed coral to raise KH - about how long after you placed the crushed coral in did you see a change in you KH (and I assume a slight bump in PH as well).

I don't want to keep adding crushed coral if the action is delayed a bit - and I want to proceed cautiously to not raise it too high as well. So right now, its trial and error til I get the KH where I want it.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Depending on pH, it can take several weeks to see the effects of the crushed coral. For a tank of the size you cite, a couple of handfuls could tak KH up rather high. If you are simply seeking to raise KH enough to stabilize pH (say, a KH of about 80-100 ppm), you have probably added too much. I'd start with a quarter cup (a half cup at the most) and check KH every several days for a couple of weeks. You should see KH stablize after approximately that time; if it's too low, you can add some more coral. If you're overshooting your target, take some out.

HTH,
Jim

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Wetman - I want the long lasting - hence the crushed coral - I was just confused as to how much I needed and how long til I could see results

Jim - thanks for the info - Yes, my target is around 80 - 100 ppm KH. I will remove some coral and give it time. I just was unsure of how long before I could see results - not knowing the quantity needed. I had been testing daily but I'll follow your advice and check every few days for the next few weeks - Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store