cloudy eyes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snowgrrl83

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hi everyone!

My common red eye puffer has been having some cloudy eyes in the past few days and I'm not sure what is wrong or how to correct this problem. There is no ammonia nor nitrites and less than 10ppm nitrates. I change about 20% of the water in this 7 gallon every 2 or 3 days. I treat my water with Aqua plus by nutrafin. I always put in about half to a whole capful (a capful being 5mL) of the stuff to take out the chlorine every time i do a water change. There has been algae growth in my tank aswell...anyone? help.

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
is your tank cycled? it sounds like it but i have to ask.

how long has it been set up?

what is you feeding schedule?

how many hours a day are your lights on?

do you have live plants? fertalizers?

are there any tank mates?

temp?

gravel vacuming schedule?

I'll have a btter idea what to tell you to do once you answer these Q's

Cheers-Kyle

Snowgrrl83

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
Ottawa, ON
my tank is cycled...
its been set up since mid december.
i feed my puffer once per day or once per 2 days.... he either gets a meal worm, a ghost shrimp or a snail...
there is one plant... i used iron in the tank about a month ago and never put anything in there again.

The lights are on a lot! About 13 or 14 hours per day.
No tank mates except some tiny weenie baby snails.. i can barely find them.
Gravel vac once or twice per week
Temp is 80F

jmattingly

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Aurora, CO
Sounds like stress, or perhaps he got too close to something and scratched them a bit.

I had a fish with the exact same symptoms. He was the only fish in the tank that had very cloudy eyes. I couldn't trace it back to anything with the water. My LFS suggested it could be stress, and that it would clear itself up on it's own.

I would watch your fish closely. If you see this developing in others, then it's time to start investigating things. Otherwise, give it a few days. I'll bet it's stress related and he'll get better on his own.

Joe

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
That is a bit excessive with the light but I don't believe that would be the problem. How often do you change the water? What are the tank balances (pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite)? When did you get this fish?

Snowgrrl83

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I change the water about 20% twice per week..
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrates are less than 10 ppm

pH 7.9

This fish has actually helped cycle the tank. Ive had it since early January.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ok, I was trying to rule out the causes of "cloudy eye" which is an infection, usually caused by an underlying cause whether it be another disease or bad water. Are both his eyes clouded?

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
this is a tuff one it sounds like you have all the basics covered

i have heard that puffers can be proned to bacterial infections. . .? hmmm.

i'd say the best thing to do is to increase your water changes to 50% and maybe 2 times a week until he's recovered

and gradually add in salt up so say 2 teaspoons total for your 7 gallons - after 2 weeks start slowly reducing salt.

I don't know- are red eye puffers the same as dwarf puffers or are they a bracish species?

if it is a bracish species that could be the problem. (i'm assuming you have him in fresh water since that is where you posted)

there are quite a few puffers who can live in fresh water as juvenilles and are sold as freshwater fish even though the adults reqire bracish conditions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store