PeaCock eel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AndrewMack

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
Fleming Island FL
I recently Setup my tank. Went to the store bought a small Peacock eel, what looks like to be a Pictus cat and a Rainbow Shark. My questions are, The Eel only seems to eat if i feed him Betta food. Is that normal? When I bought the eel he was in a tank with FW puffer fish and I think they might have eatin the tips of his tail off, will that grow back? I wanted to upgrade to a bigger tank soon, would you guys recomend the Eclipse 12ga or a 29ga from walmart? or possible doing two 10ga tanks with a massive water bridge....

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
through in some ghost shrimp and do not try to use meds on the eel or it will die. the fins will naturally grow back

AndrewMack

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
Fleming Island FL
I added some meds for ICK but thats it. What are the shrimp for? Also The guy at my LFS, he is korean... Told me I could put my Betta in the tank with those fish , because they are all non-agressive.. How true is this?

Last edited:

AndrewMack

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
Fleming Island FL
The eel is very, well lazy... When i bought him he was very active, swimming around like he was on crack lol... Now he just lies on the bottom. I want to upgrade tanks ASAP so i can use a sand Substrate, not only for the eel but i love the look.... any ideas why he changed all the sudden?

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
pecocks are lazy and eat worms naturally i do freeze dried bloodworms. i think the lazyness is a good sign mine has allways done that no matter what size tank he was in

they often like to hang off of filters and heaters and plants but thats normal

all in all its a very boring fish

AndrewMack

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
Fleming Island FL
well i just walked into the living room and the Eel was on the floor!!!! I went crazy, and put him back into the tank, he went crazy for about 30 seconds and then back to the bottom of the tank. when i have the light on he hides so i turned it back on to make sure he stays in the cave....

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
OK, first things first - your pictus is going to get about a foot long, too big for anything smaller than a 55, and that's still not enough space to make him really comfy. About the eel: Depending which species you have, he'll top out between 8" and 30". An 8" peacock eel can eat a fish about 1.5" long, so a 30" eel can probably eat a fish about 5-6" long. They're not super-efficient hunters, though. If there are any gaps in your tank's lid, expect him to find his way out. He can survive for a little while out of water, but you can't depend on finding him in time to rescue him - you need a tight-fitting lid. As for the betta, they are generally peaceful except with other bettas. He will defend himself, though, especially from fin-nippers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store