New Fire Eel!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
My hubby got the coolest fire eel - he/she is about 1 foot long and eats red worms and frozen/thawed blood worms from his hand every night. So...
How much do you feed a 1 foot fire eel hubby wants to know? Should it get a medium size red worm every night? A thumb size pinch of blood worms every night? We don't want to overfeed! We know they pick off stuff at the bottom too, but we have never had a fish like this before and could use some tips.
(Don't they need any vegies?!)

Thanks is advance if you can help.
Cathy G

AndrewMack

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
Fleming Island FL
Cathy G said:
My hubby got the coolest fire eel - he/she is about 1 foot long and eats red worms and frozen/thawed blood worms from his hand every night. So...
How much do you feed a 1 foot fire eel hubby wants to know? Should it get a medium size red worm every night? A thumb size pinch of blood worms every night? We don't want to overfeed! We know they pick off stuff at the bottom too, but we have never had a fish like this before and could use some tips.
(Don't they need any vegies?!)

Thanks is advance if you can help.
Cathy G
I just got a peacock eel last night and i would like to know the same thing you would, come on people help us out lol

kody1192

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
your fire eel will double in size so you will need a 55 gallon minimum. i know a lot about them but i dont know how much you feed them try asking the petstore where you got him

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I have a peacock eel, a zig zag eel, and a betta in my 20gallon who all eat black worms. I get about a dollars worth of black worms once a week. A dollars worth for me is about the size of a liquid cough medicine cup. My eels are both about 6 inches long and pleasantly plump. I know that they do stop eating when the have had enough so it might just be a case of trial and error to figure out how much to feed them. (I know, not very helpful, sorry!)

BTW very jealous that you have a fire eel!!! Thats one of my dream fish!! I can't wait until I have room for a bigger tank. What a beautiful and animated fish!!!

Lund

AC Members
Jan 6, 2006
Michigan
My friends tire track eel will gobble up an entire cube of frozen brine shrimp every day. His is about 10".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store