goldfish has a strange lump in its belly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nyasa

AC Members
Feb 22, 2002
Calgary, AB
Hi there,
I have a problem with my red cap oranda goldfish. It has an enlargened abdomen on the left lower flank. This has caused its body to be lopsided to the point that now it can only swim in circles and is unable to feed. This is most distressing to watch. Is there anything I can do for it?
I have had it for almost one year now. It is about 1.5" long and is kept with two other goldfish that are larger and a weather loach in a 33 gallon tank. All other fish appear healthy. Filtration is with an AC 200 and an AC150. Temperature is around twenty degrees Celsius or 70 Fahrenheit. I do 30-50% partial water changes every 10-14 days. NH3=0, NO2=0 and N03 may get up to about 20 ppm prior to a water change. pH=7.4. They are fed goldfish flake and pellets which are soaked prior to feeding. The tank was recently moved from my basement as a built in wall unit was being constructed for the aquarium. The temperature in the basement was slightly cooler ~17-18 degrees Celsius = 63-66 F.
I first noticed the strange proportions prior to moving the fish back upstairs last week. Any ideas? Could this be an internal parasite? a tumor? or an enlarged organ? Should I quarantine this poor fish? :confused:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
First of all, you have too many coolwater fish in the same tank, so some splitting is in order at some point anyway. I think that, yes, this goldie should be quarantined, and, quite possibly, euthanized.

The stress of temperature changes may have caused some latent nasty to become virulent, this may have exacerbated the problem, or may not be a factor whatsoever.

In Sandford's Aquarium Owner's Guide, it seems as any of three diseases could be occurring here:

1.) Dropsy--solution: improve/correct tank conditions (if temporary due to water quality), or euthanasia (if deemed to be chronic). Your fish would likely have acute dropsy if the swelling is sudden, so stepping up the water changes would be commendable.

2.) Swim Bladder Disease: get him outta the tank! SBD could be due to bacterial infections or damage due to handling, which is entirely possible since you have moved him recently, or fight damage. Again, water changes are good ideas, but, if he doesn't improve within 7 days in the Q-tank, he should be euthanized.

3.) Constipation: I hope that it's this, honestly. Dose the tank with Epsom salts (0.5 level teaspoon/gallon of water), and, if the fish recovers, improve the diet. Goldfish need some roughage, and all fish need a variety of foods, so, if you are only giving one type of flake, this may cause long-term problems not limited to constipation.

I am sorry to hear about your fish, and I hope that he recovers...but he needs a Q-tank for now, and probably a new permanent tank for the long haul, as your tank is (I'm sorry to say) overstocked.

Best of luck and I hope that this helps.

~Matthew

Nyasa

AC Members
Feb 22, 2002
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the prompt and thorough reply Matthew.
I doubt the water temperature change was much of a factor as the aquarium changed temperature gradually over the course of many hours.
I am concerned that it may be a swim bladder problem and I hope it is not bacterial in origin. The fish's eyes seem to be bulging somewhat and are more prominent. I will follow your advice and quarantine him and treat with epsom salts.
I have to admit I am not that optimistic.
I was feeding them blanched lettuce a few months back when I had a pleco in with them. I guess I should resume this for the roughage alone.
How many fancy goldfish do you think would be suitable for a 33 gallon tank? I recognize they will grow quite large and are rather bulky fish for their length.
Thank you for your insights.

David.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
David,
The usual suggestion is 30g/fancy goldie. Thanks for the compliments, and I would like to reiterate my wish that your goldfish gets better.

~Matthew

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store