Hood for 40 gallon breeder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
After searching as much of the web as I can humanly imagine, I have found it impossible to locate a hood or a glass canopy top for a tank that is 36" x 18".

I find this rather odd because a few different volumes of all-glass tanks use this footprint, including the 65g. I understand that these aren't the most popular sizes of aquariums, but still I don't see why finding a hood or canopy should be nearly impossible.

I'm considering some DIY alternatives, but I'm not sure which would work best.

So any ideas of DIY, or a place to locate a decent hood? I don't require any serious light as this will be an unplanted Malawi tank. Just a standard 36" fluorescent fixture.

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
There is a glass top available (versa-top made by All-Glass) that fits the 36x18 tanks. You may just need to ask your LFS to order it for you.

You might be able to get two standard 36x12 tops and hack one of them to make a 3 sectioned top. Would be easier than making one from scratch.

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
I bought my glass top from Drs. Foster and Smith online. I also found a few on ebay for sale, but decided I didn't wanna pay an ungodly amount for shipping(I think most people were charging like $20).

jgulecas

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
Just remember that the 40 gallon breeder does not have the cross-brace and needs a different cover than 50g or 65g 36x18 tanks that have the brace. Please don't ask me how I know this.:shakehead:

Dead thread, but it came up on my search and may come up on others.

Last edited:

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have 3 x 40 breeders and all my versa all glass tops came from petco. Good luck.

jgulecas

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
I called my local Petco and they did have one in stock. About $40. They only have the smaller tops listed on their website, so you need to call.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store