ICH Panic, Please Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LoneFox

AC Members
Mar 5, 2006
Help, my tank finished cycling 2 weeks ago, and I bought a cute pair of South American Puffers to put in it. My aquarium shop warned me that that they were prone to Ich, and gave me some ich treatment. Interpet Anti White Spot Plus. Sure enough a few days later, it happened. I didn't panic, I read the instructions, and checked my Fluval 4 filter for carbon filtration, nothing to be seen. I added the recommended dose, and upped the temp to 82 over the next few days, noting that I should repeat the dose 4 days later. I did notice that the water didn't stay blue for more than about 20 mins. But assumed that this was normal, reading nothing on the instructions that said otherwise.
4 Days later, Puffers are looking a lot worse for wear, the 20 or so spots have grown fairly big, I do a partial water change, and add the second dose.
Following day, most of the spots appear to have gone, but one puffer is alternating between taking air at the surface for periods of time, and then looking miserable at the bottom of the tank in the corner, he does still have a keen appetite though, and perks up for feeds.
Another day passes, and now there is a whole new dusting of white on my puffers, but this time it's a lot worse. It feels like the treatment has had no effect.
I am suspecting that the filter may be removing the medication from the water, and, that I've just accellerated the decline of my puffers by raising the temp.
I've just added another dose, and removed all the filter pads from my Fluval, noting that two of the pads were a suspicious greeny blue colour, (not sure what they were before).
The Fluval is now just circulating water, and not filtering, as it is minus all it's filter pads, I intend to get to the bottom of the problem tommorrow, and buy some replacement pads that definately won't remove the meds. I've got an awful feeling that at least one of my Puffers is not going to make it through this, as he's already struggling, and if the filter has been removing the meds, tonight is effectively the first night of medication in the water, and he's already infested, probably with a few more generations waiting to breakout.

Am I panicking prematurely, and is this a normal part of the process or should my water stay blue throughout the treatment,
Could the filter (not carbon) be removing the dye, but leaving the med.
How long is the life cycle of ich at 81 degrees ?

How long can I leave the filter with no pads in it ?
Will it be ok for a day or two, till I can get a suitable replacement pad ?

Please help, I'm finding it awful watching my poor puffers in this state.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store