Are these jobe's plant spikes OK?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Got these at Wal-Mart for $1.23 Cdn which is alright by me because not only am I poor, I am also cheap. :p

Jobes plant food spikes 16 - 2 - 6

2% Nitrate Nitrogen
10.5 % Water Insoluble Nitrogen
3.5 % Urea Nitrogen

Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) 2%
Soluble Potash (K2O) 6%
Derived from Ureaformaldehyde Nitrogen,
Triple Superphosphate, Potassium Nitrate

Last edited:

keely

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I have those... same price, from Walmart :) The 16-2-6 is for Lush Ferns and Palms; it's the best one of the Jobe's since it has the least phosphate and not too much urea (which is, I believe, just ammonia, as far as the fish are concerned)

I used just a very small piece in a stand of crypts, buried deep in the substrate.... I'm sort of paranoid about fertilizers for houseplants but everything seems fine.

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
That is the best one - most of us end up using the one with 4% P, twice as much as the fern format. I'll have to check Wal-Mart here. I'd feel better with that formulation. Thanks

keely

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Robert, I have about 24 sticks left, if you can't find them and really want them I would mail them to you :D Maybe they aren't hot sellers because they had just the one dusty packet at Wal Mart here, and they haven't restocked them, several months later.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
From the sounds of it, these Jobe Spikes are really good in-substrate fertilizers? I didn't know you could use regular fertilizer, of any kind, in an aquarium.
Can someone please explain....
Len

wetmanNY

AC Members
but Jobe's Spikes are dull to watch...

If you need more N, it's more amusing to add more fish. Their N contribution is excreted in the form of ammonia, which water plants eat up before they touch nitrate, like a mixed plateful of Oreos and brussels sprouts I suppose...

Fish! the entertaining fertilizer, also boosts CO2!

Are any aquarium plants starving for phosphate? How? "Add more flakes" says St. Diana Walstad, and it seems right to me. The phosphate from fish meal passes right through the fish, because animals can't use PO4 til it's been taken up by plants.

The potassium is nice, though...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store