Goldfish Trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MelSan

AC Members
Mar 6, 2006
Hi, I'm new to the site, but not new to raising goldfish. Anyway, I have a 55g that had to be taken down in a hurry due to a problem not related to the tank. I thought it would be only a short time before I would be able to put the fish back into the 55g, so I put them in a 10g. Well, turned out to be a lot longer than expected. I did water changes about 3 times a week, but I still noticed problems. I really had no other option at the time, but to put them in the 10g. I have several fish ranging from 2 1/2 " to 7" and a 8" pluco. A small comet, and the pluco died in the process. I have them back in the 55g today, but notice one comet and a fantail have what look like a bubble over it's eye-definatly not normal, and the fantail is kind of sluggish. Also, another comet has developed a reddish brown on it's gills, and around it's mouth (lips). This one is acting perfectly normal, so I'm not sure if it is some sort of ammonia burn, or if it is just changing colors. So, I'm wondering what the bubble over the eyes could be and how to treat if its a problem, and what the color changes on the other one might be. Also, I need another algae eater, what would you recommend? I think I'd like to try an apple snail, and maybe a catfish or 2. I thank you all for any help in the matter. I hate it when I loose my fish, especially when it's probably my fault. I just had no other option at the time. Oh, and BTW, I read in another post about a rubbermaid bin--DUH!! I never even thought of that, but you bet your booty I will get one on hand just for such emergencies!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Don't know about the eye problem but in the future you can use a rubbermaid large container in an emergency situation.

MelSan

AC Members
Mar 6, 2006
ok, so doing a little research, I am to assume the reddish brown patches on the mouth and gills of one of my comets, is ammonia burn :sad: but I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to help make it better. The buldging eyes on the other fish are probably due to some type or bacteria. Also, a couple of the fish have a few red streaks in their tails. Now, that I have them in the new tank, what can I do to treat them or help them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store