Disease experts please help (Boesemani & Columnaris?)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TDWagner

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Boesemani & Columnaris? (False Alarm)

These 9 Boesemani were shipped exactly one week ago (2/27/06) and I received them on 2/28/06.

I thought they were healthy as all are swimming around and eating well and acting [what I assumed to be] healthy.

Upon further research, I've become increasingly concerned about a little white on the very edge of a few of their dorsal fins (that's the fin on top, right?) Their mouths seem to be ok and there's no "saddle" pattern developing.

Does this look like columnaris? Or something else? Fin rot? :help:

Here's the best picture I could get:

Here a link to a website with about 26 more pictures of them (they refused to pose and say CHEEEEEEESE, so I just took as many pics as I could...a few of them turned out ok):
http://wagnertechservice.com/boes/babyboes.htm

EDIT: By the way, NONE of them have white spots on them (like ich). They were feeding when I took the pics, so there's stuff floating in the water....sorry if pics are misleading. It's just the fin edges that I'm worried about.

Dial-up users might not want to bother...there's a bunch of pics all together...might take a while to load.

I'm going to start doing nightly water changes to keep the water quality as high as possible. Do I have to medicate, or will this clear up? All nine survived shipping and are alive after a week...I'd like to keep it that way.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!

DSC01870.JPG

Last edited:

TDWagner

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Roan Art said:
That's normal. :)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

WHEW!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

So that's just part of their coloration. Oh, thank goodness. I was getting really worried!

Can never be too careful, right?!? :) After putting in so much work, I guess it's natural to be a bit paranoid. :duh:

Thanks for the reassurance!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Definitely normal:) What a relief, huh?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Your pics, from top to bottom, and I'm not 100% positive on these ids, but they're close:

Female
Male, could be female
Male
Female
Top left female, middle left male, bottom left female, middle male, right female
Female, male
Female
Top male, bottom female (Could be wrong on those)
Female
Female, male?, dunno
male
male
male male female
Sides: male, female
Dunno, male
Female, male
male male female
Dunno, male, female
male
male
blurry male
blurry female?, male
male
male
female
male
male

Roan

TDWagner

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Roan Art said:
Your pics, from top to bottom, and I'm not 100% positive on these ids, but they're close:

Female
Male, could be female
Male
Female
Top left female, middle left male, bottom left female, middle male, right female
Female, male
Female
Top male, bottom female (Could be wrong on those)
Female
Female, male?, dunno
male
male
male male female
Sides: male, female
Dunno, male
Female, male
male male female
Dunno, male, female
male
male
blurry male
blurry female?, male
male
male
female
male
male

Roan
Lol, now take into account that there's nine total, figure out the overlapping pics, figure in the ones that by chance didn't end up in any of the pics....and tell me how many total males/females! :) LOL!!! Just kidding...I have a decent mix of both, so I'm definitely happy! I'll get the knack of figuring out the sexes soon enough.

There's at least 2 or 3 that are definitely coloring up nicely already. It's more noticable every day as they settle in and become more comfortable.

speede1

AC Members
What BEAUTIFUL babies...and what a neat species...I want some now! :dive2:

TDWagner

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
speede1 said:
What BEAUTIFUL babies...and what a neat species...I want some now! :dive2:
They ARE gorgeous, aren't they? I've only had them a week, but I'd definitely recommend the species based on what I know about them.

These are from a top quality breeder too...I've heard that the ones you find at a LFS might not color up as nicely. If anyone's interested, both Roan Art and I will highly recommend a breeder.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I'm not sure it's fair to automatically disqualify LFS boesmani/rainbows in general. I've been seeing that come up a lot lately. It just depends on where they come from. You can generally tell if they're good or not by looking at them. Some look more like mutts than boes and some look wonderful. The one's I've got now are from a chain store and are very colorful and of great quality.

I know it's a little off topic, but...here's a pic of one of my trifasciata goyder rivers. That was when he was quite young and is not a good picture of him. You should have seen that bright purple he'd get when he was feeling feisty. He came from, of all places, a PetCo!

That pic was easier to find than some of my boesmanis...but you get what I mean:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store