Regular rock with live rock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Corpus7

AC Members
Oct 17, 2005
Hi all, I've recently started a 29-gal reef tank, well it will EVENTUALLY be a reef tank :) currently it is just live sand, live rock, and this awesome rock I found in my backyard. The rock is natural (meaning not some sort of cement or concrete thing) and is full of holes and crevices. I had it in a freshwater tank previously and now have it curing with the liverock. A friend of mine was at his LFS and mentioned this rock, they told him I should not have this rock in the tank as it could hurt the reef setup. I'm not sure what that means.... and I figure this rock would eventually have all the same algae and tiny creatures on it that the live rock has, so how would that hurt my tank? Any clues anyone?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What kind of rock is it? Some rocks will alter the water chemistry--may be good, may be bad, may be in between. Without knowing what kind of rock this is specifically, at a guess, it probably won't do much, sinc eyou previously ran it in a successful FW setup. I prefer to keep to highly porous rock, since that provides additional surface area for bacteria to colonize, but as long as the rock is inert, you're fine.

Corpus7

AC Members
Oct 17, 2005
it's lace rock, same type most people use in an african cichlid tank. i used to have it in my malawi tank. one thing i've been considering is the possibility of heavy metals leaching into the water, anyone know if lace rock (don't know if i'm spelling that right or not...) has a lot of heavy metals in it?

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
it's hard to say... lace rock is still kind of vague; lace just means a porus type of rock.... it could still be one of many many varieties of rock. post a pic if you can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store