Freshwater shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
looks like a ghost shrimp to me too. I have algae eating japonica shrimp and they ahave darker colored bodies.

I love my algae shrimp,I jsut bought 4 more yesterday. But i have to warn becareful of what fish you put with them because most think they are food.

RBlanc

AC Members
Feb 12, 2003
Poolesville, Maryland
www.roadhouse5.com
Thanks for the link and info. I think I'm interested in the Amano algae eating shrimp. If I get them they'll be in with mostly Austrailian raindows. Is that good or bad? What kind of water conditions do they like? The link above suggested one shrimp per gallon. I can't imagine having 90 shrimp. Are they efficient algae eaters or are they just interesting to have? I am dosing co2. Are they sensitive to that? Is that too many questions? Am I driving you guys nutz?;)

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Ghost Shrimp are great additions to any tank. They make good feeders in cichlid tanks (I feed them to a couple cichlids in my 55) and good community members too! I saved a few (6 to 8) from a feeder batch and quarantined them for a few weeks till I got my 20 gal planted up and running. I set it up Friday. I have CO2 running on this tank and the pH dropped from about 7.8 to 7.0-ish. They are currently housed with a male Betta and 6 corys. They are really good about keeping the place cleaned up. The get food that other fish can't reach! They are constantly looking for more food (and eat more than you think!) and have no problem competing for it, either. They don't eat my plants and get along well with my other fish. Get a few....you'll like them.

I don't have any experience with any other shrimp, but I'm sure the algae-eating amano shrimp would be nice additions too!

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I have my algae shrimpm in my 15gal planted tank with 2 rams, 1 Botia robusta and 1 clown pleco. I have 6 shrimp. I don't know how many you would need for a 90gal. They keep my plants and decorations pretty clean(except for the blakc brush algae).

I can't say for sure that the rainbows won't eat them. I would try putting a few ghost shrimp and testing it out with those.Since they are way cheaper you dont' have to worry about the shripm being eaten. i added a few ghost shrimp to my other tank and the angelfish ate them right away,good thign i didn't try it with the aglae shrimp first of i would ahve been out big bucks.:p

nvision

what the heck is a pl*co?
Dec 11, 2002
Sunnyvale, CA
jau.smugmug.com
yep, it's a ghost shrimp. i saw a bunch at the store and they were fun to watch and cheap. i got a few just for fun, not to clean algae in particular. i haven't seen them eat any algae at all.

i do think they provide a very nice contrast of shape and color to the overall look of the tank, however.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store