Ouch! I've bitten by the Lake Tang Bug!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
Hey, I've kept many of fish in my almost one year of being in the hobby again after taking about 5 off and with only being 19 thats a long time! But I feel that I have finally found my forte! Lake Tang...
After spending lots of time at moomans house and watching his multi and having many long drawn out conversations with co-workers and watching Lake Tanganyika Jewels of the Rift I became hooked. Sure you give up the color that you have with malawi but you more than make up for it with personality. Currently I have a 10g with some lamprologus multifasciatus with an altolamprologus comp. sorry I can not begin to spell that. But the main tank I have is a 75g tropheus duboisi colony. It is the coolest tank to watch. I'll get some pictures up of my tanks as soon as I bring my camera in from the car. I am going to be setting up a new tank too sometime soon for lamprologus brevis and maybe some caudopunks. For those of you that have never really looked into Lake Tang I highly recomend it.
One thing that I have found is that pool filter sand is awesome, it looks a lot like the color of the sand in the lake and after you rinse it there is no more cloudyness and its dirt cheap ($8 for a 50# bag) I just use that and some aragonite to buffer the water and throw some holey rock in ther eas well and Im good to go. For the shells I dont waste my $ on escargot shells or anything like that, I just go to the LFS and pick out some dead snail shells each time I go (pretty often since I work at one) and boil them and throw them in there. Could others who have been bitten by the bug chime in and tell about their experiences or recomendations? Im trying to turn the world into a Lake Tang kinda place...

Some other cool things about the lake is that its nearly a mile deep and the temp. only fluctuates between bottom and top by roughly 5 degrees!
There are FW jelly fish in the lake along with eels and puffers.
Its nearly 10 million years old! Has both the worlds smallest cichlid and the worlds largest cichlid... what more could you want?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store