How many angels for a 36g tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asincero

AC Members
Jan 16, 2006
How many angels can I put into a 36 gallon tank? The profile I read on angels said that they like to be kept in groups, so I don't want to get just one. Right now, the tank just has 8 guppies swimming around in it. Also, I have a bunch of amazon swords.

I added the guppies after doing a fishless cycle. I suppose, in theory, I can stock the tank with as many fish a 36 gallon can reasonably hold now, but I decided to still be a little conservative and just start with a few guppies.

Thanks.

born2lovefish

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Avon, In (suburb of Indianapolis)
Good luck keeping angels with guppies. My angels have eaten a number of neons that I thought I could keep with them. I would not go with more than 3 angels for a 36 gallon. You could put like 5 smaller ones and after they grow move them. Also, if you put a bigger group in you will have a greater chance of getting a pair. Just do not over do it or they will suffer from disease.

asincero

AC Members
Jan 16, 2006
The angels will eat the guppies?? :(

Thats a bummer. I was looking at the angels at the fish store last night and thinking they'd be a nice addition to the tank. Especially since they're not very expensive.

What would be a good beginner fish that won't eat the guppies? I'd like something a bit bigger than guppies. As it is right now, I gotta squint to even see my guppies swimming around in my tank when I'm looking at it from my sofa.

I also plan on getting some zebra loaches at some point too. Since they're bottom feeders, I'm guessing they'd be compatible with the guppies, no?

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Platies and molies are bigger then guppies, and can share the same water conditions. They will reach about 2-3" max size.

Those fish are livebaerers, just like guppies. If you deicde for them, make a stocking rato of 1 male per 2 females. This will reduce male's agression and will improve the chances for spawning.

Returning to your stocking question: angels need at least 10 gallons for each one of them, counting a minimun of 20 gl. for a single specimen: 1 fish -> 20gl. 2 fish -> 20, 3 fish -> 30, 4 fish -> 40. etc... It's a guide line.

In the otherside, if you choose the platties you could stock perfectly 3 males and 6 fems. These fish are colorful and there are many variations in appereance.

asincero

AC Members
Jan 16, 2006
Thanks for the tips, guys. I guess I'll have to go with platties and/or mollies. I'll go with angels with my next tank. Zebra loaches would still be ok, though, right?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the answer is correct you will need 10 gal per angel in a minimum 20 gallon..oh and btw, in a group you may wind up with a breeding pair ..in which case you'll need to move the angels..the breeding pair are very territorial and the 30 would be only big enough for the breeding pair.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store