whats up w/ my fish..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ILLINImack

AC Members
Feb 19, 2003
Orland Park, IL
Visit site
yesterday i noticed that my bumble bee cichlid didnt come up during feeding time. it just stayed down on the bottom next to some driftwood that is in the tank. it will swim around a little bit but it always goes back to the same spot. it also tries to get other fish away from it. i dont see any signs of wounds from a fight or anything.....

any ideas?

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Keep an eye on it for the next couple of days.

It could be a few things.

How's you water? What is your maintenance schedule?

It could be getting sick. Does it have any other signs of sickness?

It might be getting picked on. What are the tankmates?

It very well might have claimed the area has his own, but most times that wouldn't stop a fish from eating.

If you could give a little more info. It would be helpful.

ILLINImack

AC Members
Feb 19, 2003
Orland Park, IL
Visit site
its a 55 gallon, 2 other bumble bee cichlids, and 2 ps. acei. , and a pleco. like i said before i havent noticed any fighting, none of the other fish are bothering it right now.

i change the water once a week, the ammonia level fluctuates between 0 and .25ppm.

none of the other fish are showing any signs of problem.

it's mouth is open a lot more then the other fish, and it looks like it is breathing heavier, and i havent really noticed any other fish trying to mate w/ it in the past few days....

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
If there is any fighting going on chances are that it is at night.

Your ammonia levels are low but how are your nitrite levels?

How's the tank PH? Has it changed or fluctuated? Have you tested your tap PH?
In relation to the other cichlids where does he measure up size wise? Biggest, smallest, middle?

Are there places for him to hide if it does get rough in the tank?

Gasping usually happens when a fish is in some sort of distress. Which makes me think that he is either being roughed up or that he is sick.

If he is sick it could be any of the flollowing:
Ich.
Gill Flukes

This is a quite form a great web site I visit.

Fish will stop eating for many reasons. The food is not suitable, major stress, fighting and territorial disputes, bacterial, sporozoan and parasitic problems, Ammonia too high, pH problems, temperature problems, internal damage. What changed in the tank? Have new fish been added?
Does any of this apply?

I know that I am throwing allot of questions at you but, if it helps it is certainly worth it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store