African Dwarf Frog Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clover_d_lucky

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2006
Hello! I'm new to this site, but I looked around a bit and thought I may find the answer to a problem I have had. I am a pround owner of african dwarf frogs and have been for quite some time. However, I went out the other day and bought 2 more lil fellas. I placed them in our tank along with the others and all was well. After I watched them a while, I left for about 2 hours and came back and realized one of my new ADF's wasn't moving. I then realized the little guy was dead. :( So I started carefully watching the other new guy to make sure he was alright. But after waking this morning, we realized that he was on his back, and has been for a few hours now. He was still moving, but not very much and you knew he wasn't doing so great. I started to worry so I placed him in his own tank to see if he would be better. When I came home a few hours later he was dead laying on the bottom on his back. :( Does anyone Know why they may have died? Could it have been a bad batch of frogs?

jtruswell

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
How did they look when they'd died? Were their legs reg (red leg -- practically always fatal in frogs) or bloat maybe?

I know I originally came home with four ADFs but I have only two left. Now I lost two within a month of the purchase but the other two are strong, happy and healthy. It's really hard to tell with frogs.

Oh, but you should keep in mind the tank decor you have. Try to give them caves and plants, BUT don't have anything big that might fall on them. Also, I've heard sand is the best substrate for them since they like to burrow and I can imagine a frog hurting itself trying to dive into gravel.

Maybe Leopardess will have some better advice, but you might be right. It might have just been a bad batch. It's been known to happen. I will tell you though, that if your other frogs are still fine, I doubt very much (so long as you properly acclimatized them to the tank) you did anything wrong.

Best of luck!

Jade

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Did you acclimate them? If so, how? What size tank? What were your water parameters? Is it possible that the water they came home in was vastly different than that of your own tank?

It may indeed have been a weak batch and the stress of the move killed them. Especially since it was such a sudden set of deaths. Because of this quickness, I lean towards it being a "bad batch" of weak frogs or your water was terribly different - or a combination of the two.

If you want to get more in the future, I suggest acclimating them using the drip method (put them in a container with the water they came in. Use some airline tubing to syphon water from the tank into the container - use a knot in it to slow down the flow - until you've got say, a 75/25 mix or more).

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I go with the something is drastically different between your water and the water at the lfs...idea......because, if the frogs were THAT sick....they would have died at the lfs long before you brought them home.

I'd do a check on your tank parameters.....something may be amis that has built up slowly over time...so that the critters you have in there now had gradually adjusted....but anything new would go just like yours did. Nitrates or something..... :huh:

clover_d_lucky

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2006
Thanks everyone for your help. I wound up taking the water to the place in which I bought the little ones and had tem test everything. They said all the levels of everything are where they need to be. But since they didn't give details on it, and I don't have all that stuff down myself, I asked if the water was at the same or near same as theirs. Sure enough it was the same with less salt. I checked the littelguys to see if they had the red leg problem and they all looked helathy. We keep the frogs in a 20 gallon tank with 3 guppies, 2 silver hatchet tetras, 2 swordtails, 4 zebra danios, and 2 black skirted tiny tetras and they have 3 cave like decor and fake plants scattered about on the bottom. I did acclimate them as well, but I placed their bag in the water and let it set for about 20 min or so. I am at a totaly dead end as to why they died, because everything went rutine and fine with the rest of them. Nothing was out of the ordinary aside the deaths of the new guys.

clover_d_lucky

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2006
Help! One of my frogs I have had for some time now named Baby is rolling over on his back now, just like the last frog to go. I am extremely worried and upset about it. I have no clue what is wrong with him. He looks healthy on the outward appearance, but he is struggling to reach the top of the tank we isolated him in, so now there is just enough for him to get on his hind legs and stand with his little nose to stick out. He doesn't seem too interested in the food we gave him and all he has been doing is kinda a hop push thing now and then. When he falls over on his back he just lays there and once and a while he will try to push himself around almost like he is break dancing or something. I don't know what to do or what is wrong with my Baby. Do any of y'all know what may be wrong with him and any solutions to make him better?

Amanda1125

Registered Member
Sep 30, 2009
Help!! I dont know what is happening to my ADF!!

I Need help!! I dont know what is going on with my african Dwarf frogs and can not find answers! I received a gift of two ADFs from Brookstone about a week and a half ago. I absolutely lovee them. On the past thursday i went to the pet store and purchased a new snail, because my tank was missing one from Brookstone, and freeze dried bloodworms. That night i went home and fed the two frogs the freeze dried bloodworms and put the snail into the tank. Everything was great, but on Sunday morning, 3 days later, i saw what looked like an egg sack in my tank. The egg sack is completely clear, about half the size of a dime, and looks to be filled with smaller clear egg shapped figures. There looked to be about 25 little clear eggs inside the larger outter casing. I was unsure what this was and left it alone until later on that night when i discovered another sac just as this one! I immediately thought that this must be frog eggs and safely followed instructions to move them into their own tank. I have read that they change to tad poles rather quickly so i have been watching them expecting to see something. On Monday night i noticed another egg sac in the frog tank, this one i left in the tank to see what happened if i didn't move it and left it alone. Then on Wed. morning i found another sac! Totaling 4 egg sacs, or what i think is egg sacs. All look the same, completely clear outer casing, and little clear eggs inside. I did notice today that the two older eggs that i had previously moved to the other tank look like the small eggs inside the sac are beginning to get lil white dots inside of the eggs and it looks like the tiny eggs may be getting larger. I dont know what is going on!! From what i have read these eggs would have already become tad poles days ago, so what can this be??? Please help!!! I don't know what to do or what this is!! Is this eggs??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store