minimum tank size...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hsherman1986

AC Members
Mar 6, 2006
what is the minimum tank size that I would need to set up a semi aggressive community (I plan on having angels, discus, and clown loaches, probably five of each)? I am looking at 55 gallon, but am curious as to what my options might be

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I would suggest you do an internet search on Discus care first...they have specialized needs regarding water parameters, water quality, tankmates, etc. Plan on about 10-15 gallons per adult discus. It use to be commonly thought that Angels carried diseases that affect discus. However with most angels being captive bred, more people are keeping angels with discus than before. They too can get relatively large and will need adequate space. I have kept clown loaches with discus in the past with no problems. Again, a large tank will be necessary. Some people prefer smaller, peaceful loaches with discus. Cardinal tetras, rams, cories are just some of the other species that also work well. I'm sure you will get a lot of other advise as well...some of it very contradictory. I don't think any other fish stirs up as much controversy and range of opinions. So take your time and take all the advise with a grain of salt. Do your homework, and look for the consistent information in the materials you review and in the advise you receive. Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I am not going to say how big a tank you need but if your thinking you want to buy a 55 then I would suggest a 75. Around here the 75's are only a little bit more than the 55's but after 75 the price starts to jump quick. I paid $99 for my 75g tank at a lfs on sale (new). They have about the same foot print if memory serves, so youl always be wishing you woulda spent the extra 10 or 20 bucks and gotten the bigger tank. However, the local paper is a good place to look for used stuff as alot of people move and have to sell thier tanks.

hsherman1986

AC Members
Mar 6, 2006
thanks for the advice so far. I have been doing a little research in the discus, and will do a lot more before I atually purchase any. I do that with every single fish that i buy (well, except for the loach. he was an unexpected buy) before I go out and buy them.

We (me and my boyfriend) have decided that we are first going to purchase a smaller tank (20g or so) to help thin out our overstocking problem in the 55g. (we have 55 fish in there, and want to thin it back out some). Then we are going to start shopping for another 55, or see if we can get a good deal on a 75. We have decided to go ahead and buy new, most likely, as we cannot find a good deal on used at this point.

I am also open to any other compatibility suggesstions you guys might have about keeping angels, discus and loaches together

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Don't go less than a 75g for clown loaches. That's pretty much the min for their full grown size them unless you plan on upgrading again down the road.

As for a 55, they really aren't worth it IMO. Take a good look at the dimensions between the 55g and the 75g E:

55g 48x13x20 vs. 75g E 48x18x20

You've got 13" of depth in a 55g. That's not a lot at all. Discus need plants and that extra 5" in depth in the 75g will buy you a decent amount of planting and decoration space. It's a nicer footprint and gives the fish more room to move around.

IMO the reason more people buy 55gs is because that's what most LFS stock. It's not a big deal for them to order a 75g.

I started a thread not too long ago asking why people would buy a 55g over a 50g (also 18" deep):

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62349&highlight=55g+75g

Might help with your decision.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store