HELP! Losing fish, meds not working Bacterial / Fungus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dkevdog

Fish Fan
Dec 22, 2005
Orange, CA
www.socalrattlinrams.com
Been a lurker here a while and have learned alot. I have a 125gal Malawi Cichlid tank, running since January. Livestock consists of mostly yellow labs, malawi blues, and drawf yellows, and a peacock. Total of about 12 fish now and I am having a miserable time with a disease that may have been not diagnosed properly.

About two weeks ago I saw the first symptoms in one fis and with the aid of a LFS determined that he had cotton mouth. I was given some bad information on what to do and now I have a mess that fish long since died and I am standing to lose more. I'll try and give as much detail s possible, I think I might have had a misdiagnosis or even an additional problem.

The current fish are demonstrating symptoms of what appears to be a fungus. Three of them have cotton like strands of debris angin fom the mouth and lips. One fish has "potholes" or the infection has spread past the surface and is eating away at the head area. As a result, it was reccommended that I treat the entire tank (ouch!) so I began a dose of Triple Sulfa. This dose did not seem to make any improvement so I did a 30% water change and am treating now with Erythromyacin. I am on day 4 of this and It does seem to be slowing the progression, but has not stopped it completely. I was also trying Melafix in addition to the antibiotics, but I don't know that this has much effect on anything.

Then this evening I noticed that several of the yello labs are demonstrating symptoms of a bacterial infection, they have redish orange spots near the dorsal fin and one has some exposed flesh areas and are deteriorating.

Most of the fish are eating, although their appetite and eagerness to feed has declined. The two worst fish are not eating, but are showing signs of improving (or so I'd like to think).

Water qaulity is OK, Nitrites are 0, Amonia >.25, Nitrate is 20, PH is 8.1, GH about 220ppm. One other bit of noteworthy information is I noticed small hair like tufts on the walls of the aqaurium, and within the water itself. I am not sure what it is it is more pronounced on the walls than in the water. There is some sediment in the water itself though as well.

I appreciate any help or advice that this community has to offer. My LFS has been of little to no help other that to sell me more meds and tell me I can replace the fish if they die. (NOT very helpful! :duh: )

Photos are available if they would help in assesing the problem.

Regards,
Kev

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Years ago, I had an outbreak of a bacterial infection that raced through a tank of mbuna I had. Symptoms one day - dead the next. I used Furazone green, and it worked quite well. If you try it, do a 50% water change first. Similar products are nitrofurazone and Furazolidone. What's good about Furazone is that it is a broad spectrum antibacterial that goes after both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, yet is not too abusive to the fish's immune system. Also doesn't seem to disturb the tank's biosystem. Good luck!

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
Columnaris?

I think Erythromyacin only treats gram positive bacteria. Tetracycline will treat gram negative. If the nitrofurazone doesn't work, try tetracycline. I think you may need to keep your tank lights off during treatment. I also believe some of the nitrofurazone blends have some meth blue which might stop any fungus from taking advantage of the situation.
From what I read about Columnaris, there can be milder strains and strains that will take down a fish fast.
Maybe you could post a photo and get Roan Arts opinion?
Cathy

Dkevdog

Fish Fan
Dec 22, 2005
Orange, CA
www.socalrattlinrams.com
Will post some pics as soon as I go home for lunch, to check on the little guys. The only med I can find that has nitrofurazone is Furan-2 from Aqaurium Pharmaceuticals. I was strongly cautioned when I called the place where I get things locally that this could cause permanent discoloration... but he said it would likely work to solve the problem. Any advise upon this warning or is there an alternative product?

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
The meth blue is what will stain stuff - remove any rocks you might like to keep from getting blue... It did not stain my tank/silicone. The only thing it ruined was a light colored porous cave rock.
Keep us posted!
Cathy

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Doh! I recognize those pink, raw patches....look for Furazone green in your area - a good LFS should have it - used for pond fish quite often too. For that matter, try to find any broad spectrum medication that addresses a wide range of bacterial infections. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store