New trouble: my snails had babies!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

suziq

AC Members
May 30, 2002
MI
Visit site
i have a 75g plant tank in which i have three snails: a gold mystery? (Sunny) and a baby blue mystery (moony) and a Ramshorn (Gary). Sunny and Moony are about the size of a quarter and Gary is half the size of my fist. I've had them in the tank for months now and they do a great job of algae control. I have barely any except for a tinge on my wood right up by the lights.

Well it appears taht sunny built a egg nest right under my nose and now I have ~100 baby golds the size of a push pin head. After some investigating, it looks like moony was busy too with a nest about ready to pop.

now i don't really care about the golds but I would like to raise a few blues since I have only seen them once in this area (when I bought her) so I have a few question before i decide my actions

1) Will these little suckers destroy my plants or will they behave like their moms?

2)Are they going to over whelm my tank and cause chaos in my equipment?

3) Are there any special requirements for baby snails?

4) if I decide i don't want them, is there a fish that will eat the little ones but can't harm the big guys?

5) how do snail reproduce? Asexually? since this batch appears all gold and the sac under the tank rim looks all blue, did they breed or make babies on their own?

Ananda

AC Members
Feb 15, 2002
Chicagoland
Visit site
1) I think they will probably behave like their moms.

2) What kind of equipment do you have?

3) I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure about mystery snails. My snails are garden-variety Malaysian trumpet snails.

4) Loaches should work... if your tank is otherwise fully stocked, maybe you could set up a "rent-a-loach" deal with your LFS.

5) IIRC, snails are hermaphrodites -- they exchange genetic material when they get together and then have babies.

Where in Michigan are you? I might be willing to take some of those little gold ones off your hands....

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Get some YOYO's they work Great! Wouldnt bother the larfe snails..just the small ones!

Most snails are hermaphrodites, but some species have the male/female gender.

Try this site..wealth of info.

www.applesnail.net

You will find everything yuo ever wanted to know about them. Great site..

suziq

AC Members
May 30, 2002
MI
Visit site
I live in Grand Rapids. Anyone else want some?
I thought yoyos got real big? Waht do they look like, are they the same as dojos?

I 'm thinkin my best set is to give away as many as possible and then do a rent-a-loach.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store