FYI - Knight Gobies eat Neons.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
FYI - Knight Gobies eat Neons. (warning..big pics)

The subject says it all. I picked up 4 of the gobies, and I'm now down to 5 Neons from 14 in about a week. Just wanted to let everyone know so they don't make the same mistake.

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Yup, gobys will eat any fish they can fit in their mouth.

Question: since you are posting this in the brackish forum, I am guessing you know they are BW fish, so why do you have them with neons, which are soft, acid-loving fish?

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
I didn't realize until after purchasing - an impulse buy. Setting up a brackish-only tank wont be happening anytime in the near future, so they'll have to make due.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
'Make do"? Not very fair to them is it? :(

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Please consider either setting up a BW tank or returning the Gobies. If you do not, you will have all sorts of problems due to stress negatively affecting your Gobies and eventually causing great illness with them. "Making do" is really not fair to your fish and does not reflect highly upon your fishkeeping skills. They may be wonderful, but, since this is my first impression of you (and undoubtedly others' first impression as well), please consider raising the bar by telling us that you have decided to do one or the other of those suggestions (and then actually carry it out in real life!!!)

Good luck with the decision,

Matthew

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
:rolleyes:
Sorry guys, but I don't come here for affirmation. I also don't claim to be the "perfect fishkeeper". I don't need or ask for your approval. I've posted here (sparingly) for a few years now so I'm sorry the impression I've given you isn't a good one...take it for what you will. I'll be keeping the fish, I wont be setting up a brackish tank, and I wont be returning them. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time on trying to debate the issue. Sorry to come off as an a-hole but.......

Oh...and FUR IS MURDER.

:rolleyes:

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
We are not here to argue with you but only to make sure the welfare of the fish is high on the list of the keeper. Since you don't want to duplicate that, thats your problem not ours. We try to save people money by steering them the right way and the correct way. When it is all said and done you will be loosing a lot of money. The gobies will wreck havoc in your fw tank since they are stressed. In the end (and now) they will be the ones suffering the most. We can only give you advice not make you do the things we suggest. Since you have 5+ people telling you to do the same thing, don't ya think you should listen to them, and spare the lives of the Knights? Your call.

howlincody

No Comment
Nov 28, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I didn't mean to come off as rude but you have to take responsibility. It's not fair for your fish. Everybody makes mistakes but, why not correct it if you have the opportunity?

Fur is Murder? I'm not sure whether that was serious or sarcastic but I'm a vegetarian and environmentalist, so I can relate to that viewpoint. If you really sympathize with animals, why can't you buy another aquarium in a few weeks or months and make it brackish? Keeping Knight Gobies in freshwater weakens their immune system since they spend their entire lives in brackish environs.

Good Luck

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
The problem will resolve itself in a few months when the gobies go to that great estuary in the sky, and their mortal remains are reverently disposed of curtesy Thomas Crapper (Great White Waterchute) Funeral Services Ltd.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store