Clownfish Feeding Strike

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
I have a 75g set up for about 3 months and yesterday I noticed the larger of my two clownfish not eating. Usually the larger fish is a robust (read pig) eater. The smaller of the two has never been as big an eater but now both cannot be enticed to feed. The parameters are great everything is zero. Ph is 8.2 temp 80, sg is 1.025 alk is 3.5 meq/l and ca is 400. They do not show any signs of any parasitic infection and all other fish (yellow tang & diamond gobie) are doing well. The only thing that has happened is the frogspawn that they normally host was pushed out of it's niche by a turbo and I moved it about 6 inches away then it got moved again and I replaced it in it's original spot. I also noticed that a small green star polyps that I had has closed up and won't open. It looks like it was eaten by something. All other inhabitants are doing great eating and swimming. They (the clowns) hang around the bottom corner and don't move very far away. I can't seem to get them interested in feeding. I have tried mysis, brine, soaked in garlic and unsoaked. Normally they run to the baster when I bring it out. She seems sluggish but her eyes are clear and not discolouration or spots on her.

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
Okay if this is ich and I don't think it is, but not sure is there anything that can be used in the main tank as I tried to catch her last night for a f/w dip and that seems to be very stressful and she still swims away very fast (for a clown). I am pretty sure it isn't brooklynella.....any other ideas

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
If you don't see obvious signs of disease, leave her be - chasing her will only add to her stress and a FW dip isn't warranted IMHO. She may be upset that her host was moved and just need a day to relax, but watch her carefully for signs of ich, brook, velvet etc. just in case.

If you do need to catch her, here's what works for me with clowns: wait until she's asleep, then gently place a clear plastic bag (the ones from the fish store are perfect) into the tank in front of her, while putting a net behind her; she'll wake up just enough to wonder what's going on and then dash for cover... straight into the bag. If it doesn't work, leave her alone for another hour (with the bag on the other side of the tank) and she'll go back to sleep so you can try again. Another method I've used successfully is draining the tank down to a couple inches of water, making a depression in the sand where the fish will collect for easy removal. Not very practical for larger tanks, but with enough Rubbermaid bins it can be done. My advice is if you catch her, only do it once to reduce stress - once you've got her, put her into a QT so you don't have to re-catch her for dips every day.

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
Thanks for the info. We are now up to day 3 no eating, though she is still fat and has great colour. No gasping or clenched fins, she just hovers around the bottom corner and won't move unless she has to. I see no signs of any external parasites, ich, velvet or brook. Her eyes are clear. I did a 30% water change last night. I hate to treat her with anything if I don't have to. I suppose I will just watch and see. I will stop by the lfs that I trust and see if he has any suggestions.....or enticing bits of food stuffs.....

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
You could try live brine shrimp as a short term fix, also try soaking the food in some tank water with a clove of garlic, this helps stimulate feeding

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
I have tried soaking in some seachem garlic additive but maybe I will try soaking in real garlic. Should I crush the clove first? Someone somewhere suggested a boiled pea???? what is that? Also, could a fish swallowing an air bubble cause this? I think she may have done that from the baster a few days ago.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store