Closure to the Fluidized Bed Filter Thread-"The Response"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
Hey guys, I would just like to share the response I recieved from the "filtration master". Please, no flames on this thread. He did not write this to start or continue an arguement. I am sharing this with you in a hope to bring all parties interested to an understanding. Without further ado, this is Don Dickson from predatoryfish.net (and possibly others I don't know about).

I dont know that it will build up faster initially, but due to its nature, I am of the belief it can adjust faster than can other types of filters. But that is kind of a misleading statement, let me explain...
Nitrifying bacteria reproduce once every 24 hours. They will not do it any faster, thats just the cold hard biological fact. Therefor, you are going to have a set amount of bacteria reproducing every 24 hours.
However, the number of bacteria can be influenced by the media that they are provided. The more surface area, the more bacteria, obviously. But also, the more food and oxygen they recieve, the better off they are going to be. The best filter that provides this is the Penguins and Emperors with the bio wheels. Properly set up wet dry's come in a close second.
The FBF is far superior to either of those in one category, surface area. This is where it ends up passing the other filters.
The bacteria will only grow to amounts that match the food source, ie ammonia. No more bacteria are going to grow than the amount of ammonia produced will support. So at this point, all the filters are relatively equal.
Now, when you get a sudden increase in ammonia, a fish dies, your kid accidently dumps a can of food in the tank, etc., the FBF has a lot more are available for the increase in bacteria population. In other words, it isnt going to get overcrowded nearly as quickly. So in that way, the FBF can adjust "faster".
Faster is not the correct word to use though. The proper way to describe it would be that FBF's are more adaptable to sudden increases in ammonia levels than other filters.
But to say that they aquire bacteria faster, well thats just not knowing or accepting the simple biological fact of reproduction time. The neatest filter in the world is not going to make those bacteria reproduce any faster than they are physically capable of. Period.
by Don Dickson

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I agree. I just use it as a backup bio filter in case something happens and it works great for that.

If you get one, the water has less oxygen content (because the bacteria uses it), so using surface agitation or oxygenize the water coming out of the tank would work. MIne works great and I dont have any problems with low oxygen content.

HOWEVER, if the Power goes out, and the bacteria uses up all the oxygen in the chamber, they can die and cause problems in the tank when the power comes back on, same thing with the Cannistor filter.

The powerfilter that has the Biowheels and the wet-dry filters will not cause problems if you have a power outage.

SO...if you live an area where you have power outages alot that lasts longer than an hour, perhaps just use a biowheel or a wet-dry.

I dont have power outages problems, so the FBF work great for me. Well, untill an eartquake happens. I heard that when the Northridge quake happened, power was out for DAYS! I would have ALOT more problems then a FBF without power..

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
good response :)

we loose power consistently all winter... lost it 4 times already in the past two weeks. I only use bio-wheels or no filters at all.

Last edited:

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
TncGal:

What is the EXACT timeframe where the good bacteria turns into Bad bacteria and then possibly poison your fish?

I heard anything from 1 hour to 3 hours. another person said his was off longer then that and his fish turned out ok. I KNOW there is a time restraint. I wonder what it is?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
H2S (hydrogen-sulfide) gets produced in anaerobic conditions. Depending on the size of the bacteria colony, the amount of 02 in the water, and the amount of water, it could take anywhere from a couple hours to a day or longer.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
That was one worry I had about the. If Im gone from my house for 8 hours and the power goes out and comes back on later, i could come home to a full tank of dead fish. However, as you stated it could take up to a day or longer. Since all the bacteria is not housed in there, but in the tank as well as the emperor 400, it would take a long time for the bacteria to die and since its not full of it, then the poison (if produced) would be small. the same concept would go for a canistor filter as well (both enclosed).

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
how much surface movement do you have? that could make a very big difference in how deadly H2S is.

Being a gas, H2S will readily dissipate from an aquarium with plenty of air exchange at the surface. One powerhead giving you some extra surface movement could make the difference.

Youll know when your getting H2S production though, the smell is awful. :rolleyes: :)

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I have an emperor 400 and a bubble wall(36 inches) powered by 2 (yes 2-one rated at 200 and one at 100) tetratec airpumps. So I do have enough surface agitation. Yes..I know. bubbles does not add Oxygen to the water, but adds surface agitation...well..off to lunch..will be back later...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store