Explaining Neon Tetra deaths after "successful" ick treatment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
For the past 11 days, I have been treating my community tank for ick with heat set at 84'F and 2 teaspoons/gal salt. I began treatment immediately upon seeing the very first ick spots on only 2 neon tetras and one Silver Hatchetfish.

Over the first 3-4 days, ick became more apparent on the Hatchetfish but disappeared on the tetras. A few days later no ick was visible on any fish and most fish never showed any spots.

Only one fish died during the first week of treatment and that was a single male cherry barb that never showed any ick symptoms. I suppose that it was more affected by the heat/salt as the other 2 cherry barbs have not been very active since treatment began but have never shown ick symptoms.

During the past 3 days, I have lost 6 neon tetras. I have never seen any of them acting unusual or appearing pale. I just find them on the bottom or stuck to the filter intake. Half of these were large ones that I have had for nearly 2 years.

I have done 3 50% water changes since the first sign of ick, replacing the salt that I removed during the change: 1 right before treatment, and 2 since the beginning of treatment. Also, I turned the temp down to 82'F after the first neon death.

I am not doing a 50% water change and will not add more salt since I am coming to the end of the 14 day treatment period.

Any ideas on why these fish are dying so late in treatment? Stress from heat/salt is my best guess. It is particularly interesting that every single hatchetfish has survived since they are known to be very sensitive and susceptible to ick.

Post-PWC test results:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.2

Last edited:

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Neons are sensitive to hard(ening) water conditions. Their natural habit is acidic soft water, so salt in the tank is like swallowing a brick.

I've never been succesful at keeping these small fish, not cardinals. My tap water is likely alkaline (7.4 out of the tap, 8.0 after being in the tank 1 day).

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
I think I will do a 50% water change every day for the next few days to continue to remove the salt. I am confident that the ick is gone now that I am 12 days into treatment.

Thanks patoloco. You are probably right that the salt has been wearing them down.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I agree with Patoloco --

Also, IF the deaths started when you started changing the water out, it may be possible that the change in TDS shocked them --- going from high TDS to low TDS. We add the salt gradually, but we usually don't *remove* the salt gradually. Hrm.

Something to think about. What's your thoughts on my theory?

Roan

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
The deaths started 3 days ago, but today is the first day that I have done a water change without replacing the salt. Before then, I replaced salt during the water changes.

All of the remaining neons look great with bright colors and normal schooling behavior.

I am optimistic that they will be ok now that the salt concentration is beginning to go down. Maybe I will go a bit slower with the water changes over the next few days to avoid any unnecessary shock due to the removal of the salt. I think you have a good point there, Roan Art.

At the very least, I am very pleased that all of my hatchetfish are doing great. They are hard to find around here.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Also, IF the deaths started when you started changing the water out, it may be possible that the change in TDS shocked them --- going from high TDS to low TDS. We add the salt gradually, but we usually don't *remove* the salt gradually. Hrm.
As a general rule Fish react batter to drops in TDS levels than to increases. So in general terms we can lower levels faster without causing equivalent stress.

That being said it is never a bad idea to be cautious.

I personally do not think the salt was the issue, but that is based solely on my experience, and could be way off base.
dave

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
daveedka said:
As a general rule Fish react batter to drops in TDS levels than to increases. So in general terms we can lower levels faster without causing equivalent stress.

That being said it is never a bad idea to be cautious.
Agreed.

I personally do not think the salt was the issue, but that is based solely on my experience, and could be way off base.
dave
IME I agree. I don't think salt per se is the issue, but I can't help but wonder if some fishes do not handle "fast" decreases in TDS as well as others.

Roan

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Some of the more neurotic among use do serial small water changes after Ich treatment just to avoid possible stress.

I don't have hard water, but do have moderately hard (GH 9), moderately alkaline (KH 7-8) water. I get an average life of >6 years out of neons in my tap water. I have not had any issues with salt/heat treatment of Ich with them.

I can't remember using salt/heat for Ich with Cherry Barbs. Mine are self-perpetuating, so I have not had any new introductions in a very long time. Can't help there.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
RTR said:
Some of the more neurotic among use do serial small water changes after Ich treatment just to avoid possible stress.
Ahhhhhhhh. Guess I wasn't so far off the rock there.

Neurotic? *raises hand* ME ME! ;)

I don't have hard water, but do have moderately hard (GH 9), moderately alkaline (KH 7-8) water. I get an average life of >6 years out of neons in my tap water. I have not had any issues with salt/heat treatment of Ich with them.

I can't remember using salt/heat for Ich with Cherry Barbs. Mine are self-perpetuating, so I have not had any new introductions in a very long time. Can't help there.
Nod. This is probably one of those things that'll remain a "I wonder if".

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store