Hikari Foods

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquarob

I give up!
Jan 1, 2006
Just thought I would post my experience with Hikari brand foods. I have been feeding a number of their foods over the years but only recently tried the following:

Hikari MicroPellets
Hikari MicroWafers
Hikari FD Bloodworms

The micropellets are IDEAL for tetras, rainbows, etc. Just the right size and sink at just the right rate. They love them and everyone gets 2-4 pellets. Its almost like beach sand in consistency, however it expands just a tad when it hits the water. Good balanced diet, with 3 different kind of pellets. 1 is meat based, 1 is veggie based, and 1 is basically a multi-vitamin for fish. Smells horrid, so I know the fish love it. LOL, cant stress enough how great this stuff is.

The microwafers I must say I am not as pleased with. They sink very rapidly and are so small they quickly sink into the substrate, and I am stuck vaccuming it out later. The reason I got them was for my corydoras who have small mouths and have a hard time eating the sinking carnivore wafers I had been feeding them due to size. These are also from Hikari. I will likely not use the sinking wafers again in my gravel tanks. They work well on sand though, since I needn't worry about it fouling my substrate.

The bloodworms I had been using were from a different manufacter and were a dark brown color, smelled foul, and had lots of little worm bits mixed in with the whole worms. These from Hikari are reddish brown, have little odor, and the fish simply go crazy for them. Also, they stay on the surface much better then the other ones I was previously using. Seems to me that the worms are larger/longer w/ less dust and junk floating on the surface then my old brand. I am very happy with these bloodworms and I will continue buying these from now on. *i do not feed real bloodworms due to possible disease*

Hope that was informative. I'd steer clear of the microwafers, but other then that Hikari's newer line of foods is really impressive. Good price and great quality.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I use Hikari algae wafers and I used to use their F/D bloodworms. I like both.

However, I use stuff from Brineshrimpdirect.com, frozen bloodworms and live brine shrimp now. IME my bows prefer it. They go *nuts* over the Earthworm Plus flakes -- all my fish do, even the herbivores.

Roan

Hereford

Easily Amused
Jul 19, 2005
Northern California
I added a betta to the community tank about six weeks ago. Not sure of his health I hand-fed Hikari "Betta Bio-Gold" pellets so that I knew he was eating. I have kept up this practice because its kind of fun, trying to see if I can teach him to track my fingers as I drop the pellets. No positive results yet but interesting anyway. He tests the flakes the others thrive on but spits them out immediatly. By finger-feeding I don't often see the pellets sink but occasionally spot one in the filter intake. So far, I can agree with your assesment of Hikari pellets. Not enough experience to judge the other types of food, however.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
I had bac luck with a Hikari floating pellets bag. No fish will eat them. Gouramies, goldfish, angels. Everyone would leave them alone. I smached to feed the guppies, and no. Probably a bad batch, though.

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
I LOVE Hikari foods- i feed thier frozen blood worms, thier micropelets, thier algae wafers, thier betta gold, and thier sinking shrimp wafers-

if i ever see brine shrimp with thier name on it i'd probably switch,

i'm using a different brand of FD krill but only b/c the store was out of the small containers and it'd go stale at work with a larger one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store