Clown Loaches sick.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flohrie

AC Members
Jan 9, 2003
Queensland, Australia
Visit site
Well about a week ago I noticed 2 of my loaches had white spot. I went and bought some treatment, removed my carbon and administered it.

So far the whole tank has had 2 doses, 1 every 3 days. Tomorrow is the next time they will get some but they arn't looking very good.

They used to be very shy and whenever i walked infront of the tank they would hide in a cave, now they are lying on my driftwood, rocks and even the top of the heater. They have a lot of white spots all over them now and I don't know if the treatment is working.

Is there anything else I can do or is it too late for my buddies??

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
clowns are scalles fish, mabey your medicaiton is harmful to them, or dosent work on scaless fish.

kuhli

AC Members
re clown loaches

sorry to hear of your trouble.
here is the treatment for ich with loaches.
Raise temp 84 degrees.
Add lots of areation.
Remove carbon from your filter if you are using it.
Dose full strength with maracide for 10 days.
Day 5 25% water change and vacumn gravel
10th day 40% water change add carbon to filter.
Also rinse in hot saltywater anything used in the tank to stop re infection.
Good luck

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
Clown loaches are great, mine always had a gaurd that would watch over the sleepers (sleeping on sides and one always slept nearly on its back). Unfortunately mine got trapped inside a hollow log and died.

I am going to slowly build my collection of clown loaches back up.

kuhli

AC Members
re ick dosing

A lot of loach nuts use Mardel's Maracide. It is very safe for loaches at full strength. I have used numerous times in my quarantine tank with new loaches. I even know people who had ghost shrimp that were ok with it. Mid 80's is good but it does decrease oxygen in the water so you must provide lots of surface agitation. It also speeds up the life cycle and helps kill ich in the swimming stage.
Here's is a link to one of the best ich resources around.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/fish/notes_ich.html

Kuhli
Originally posted by clayt101
I would recomend raising the temp to the mid 80's, and half dosing with ick medication.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store