Son's 20 gallon stocking list - Suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
My son has got all excited now that i have got back into aquariums and asked me for his own tank. So, being the nice guy that i am i bought him a 20 gallon to put into his room.He has already picked out the fish he wants for his tank.

Here's his stocking list:

5 Scissortail Rasboras
6 Glow light Tetras
6 Black Neon Tetras
4 Peppered Corydoras
4 Green Corydoras

The filter is a bio wheel rated for 150 gph.

Any suggestions? Should fish be decreased/increased anywhere?

Thanks for all the help - Jighead

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
It sounds a little overstocked. You could replace one of the schools of tetras/rasboras with a centerpiece fish, such as a dwarf gourami.

^^Dwarf gourami

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
Although people here usually suggest getting 6 of a schooling fish, I really feel that 10 or more is necessary to achieve any really interesting schooling behavior.

When I had only 4-6 neon tetras, they were not all that interesting. With a school of 16, they are much more fun to watch as they swim together.

So maybe you could convince your son to pick only one species of tetra and have a larger school?

The previously mentioned dwarf gourami would be a good choice too.

I also think it is just a tad overstocked, so I would suggest he pick one of the species of cory and perhaps drop the rasboras.

Here is my modified stocking plan:

1x Dwarf Flame Gourami
4x Corydoras of either species
12x Black or Glo-light tetras

Last edited:

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
YuccaPatrol said:
Although people here usually suggest getting 6 of a schooling fish, I really feel that 10 or more is necessary to achieve any really interesting schooling behavior.

When I had only 4-6 neon tetras, they were not all that interesting. With a school of 16, they are much more fun to watch as they swim together.

So maybe you could convince your son to pick only one species of tetra and have a larger school?
good idea, it will make the tank look less chaotic and more intresting to see natural behavior, plus one gourami would probably keep them schooling well

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I agree with everyone, you might consider ditching the scissortails,they get pretty large, A few of my older ones are a good 4 inches

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
led_zeppelin said:
good idea, it will make the tank look less chaotic and more intresting to see natural behavior, plus one gourami would probably keep them schooling well
You are right, I forgot that one bad-tempered gourami would keep those neons schooling very well!

I think that is a great idea!

new2tanks

AC Members
Feb 18, 2006
t.o
YuccaPatrol said:
You are right, I forgot that one bad-tempered gourami would keep those neons schooling very well!

I think that is a great idea!

could a betta be capable of disrupting schooling as well?

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
Thanks alot for the input guys he read your suggestions and tomorrow we are taking another trip to the lfs to re-evaluate what he really wants.

He has 2 more possible stocking lists that he wants your opinion on.

List 1:

Drop the Scissortail Rasboras and instead have-

8-10 Black Neon Tetras
8-10 Glowlight tetras
5-8 either species of Corys

List2:
Drop one species of tetras and have-

6 Scissortail Rasboras
8-10 favorite species of tetras
5-8 either species of corys

He also wants your opinions/suggestions on a small commonly avaible species of cichlid for a show fish. He has looked at alot of pictures in the cichlid forum and likes how some of them look.

Unca Bret,
My son is a 14 year old 8th grader.

Thanks - Jighead and Son Grant

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store