Cherry Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
I have some Cherry Shrimp I am trying to breed. I was wondering if i could keep them with guppies or neon tetras and white clouds. Both tanks are 10 gallons. One tank is 7 red delta guppies and the other tank is neon’s and white clouds. What tank do you think would be better and do you think the baby shrimp would get eaten. Thanks

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
If you are serious about breeding the shrimp, you really need to keep them in a shrimp-only tank. The baby cherry shrimp are certainly smaller than the frozen brine shrimp that my tetras love to eat.

I just got my cherry shrimp and am keeping them in their own tank. As they reproduce, I will move large adult shrimp into my community tanks. I have somewhere around 40 shrimp ranging from very small babies to a pregnant female. Certainly the smallest I have would be a treat for a neon and I know the babies are even smaller than that.

Considering how much I paid for these shrimp, I would not take the chance of having the majority of the babies eaten even if the adults would not be in danger. You may have some limited success, but you will have difficulty establishing any significant breeding population if keeping them with fish.

If you must have fish in your shrimp tank, choose ones that have specialized mouths such as Otocinclus catfish that only eat algae. Apparently they will not harm even newly hatched baby shrimp.

If you have not already been there, check out the discussion forum at www.petshrimp.com . Make sure to read every article and lots of posts before even considering asking a question there. That forum does not appreciate any discussion of any topics that have been previously covered.

Last edited:

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
i agree those shrimps are TINY. remember the if it fits in the mouth, it's food rule with fish.

I have mine in a 10gallon q tank by themselves too.

btw what's the best temperature for cherry reds - to encourage breeding and just a happy life :) also how long does it take a new born to grow into a young adult?

edit: found the answer: http://www.petshrimp.com/redcherryshrimp.html

Last edited:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Theoretically I fully agree with the above posts. I will also say that I have kept cherry shrimp in tanks with Guppies (not large numbers mind you) and did have at least a decent rate of production. To me the key was lots of hiding places for the baby shrimp. I also never had issue with guppies eating their own fry, but I seem to be the lone ranger in this regard as well.

My personl thought would be to breed them in their own tank and then try them in the community tanks a few adults at a time. Cherry shrimp will fill an aquarium as fast as guppies if nothing is eating the babies.

dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store