Green Star Polyps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
3 days ago i got myself some Green Star Polyps. they had been imported about a month ago but i had to save up money for em so that why i got em so late. the thing is, is that they are no longer the green they were when they first arrived. They have almost lost it all. when i got em i did know about his but i love them so much i just had to get em. What do you think could have made em loose their color? and if possible how can i help it gain the greeness back?
Thanks in advance :)
Metin

Here is a pic:

ragc

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Could it be the color is different under your lighting? Were they green when you first saw them in your tank? Mine are green and the same pink...

david emmett

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
I was having some what of the same problem but with my button polyps as well I have both on 1 peace of lr Iwas told to try adding a little bit more "DT"s to the tank and pretty quickly it seemed to bring them back fullof color. Might be something you could try,or you might want look into it a bit more

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
ragc said:
Were they green when you first saw them in your tank?
No they were that pinky color when i got them from the lfs, but when they first arrived there they were greener.

david emmett said:
Iwas told to try adding a little bit more "DT"s to the tank and pretty quickly it seemed to bring them back fullof color.
Id like to try that but i dont exactly know what "DT"s are. :)

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
"DTs" is a brand of live phytoplankton that certain corals like GSP feed upon.

What kind of lights do you have? Lighting can have a dramatic effect on the colour and health of corals since they are photosythetically symbiotic.

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
tomorrow im getting a MH system. 2MH lamps on each end and a moonlight in the middle. but the moonlight is only a normal bulb with a blue filterglass infront of it. so ill haveto install seperate actanics. im thinking of cutting my tanks hood to and putting the MH over it so only the light goes in and the system itself says out of the hood. i was thinking of using Flors for actanics. the tanks is 95gal 60cm deep. any advice would help alot.

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
Untill i set up my new MH system im using my old system thats made of 5Flors. Three daylights and 2blueactanics(1 is almost past usable state)

To save space and not to start a new thread(which i try not to do) i thought that is would be a good idea to ask my other question here(even if though there is a space for topics like this)

Do starpolyp spread, as in colonize? is there anything i can do to make/help them grow more around the tank?

Last edited:

ragc

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I've had mine for about 6 months, a small colony on a piece of rock 1" long (2.5 cm?). I had a little die-off at one point. Now the polyps seem much larger/taller and the dead space is filling up very, very slowly. While my zooanthids have multiplied and spread in much less time, the star polyps seem to be lacking the "push" to do this... maybe soon they will explode! Yes, they are supposed to spread easily, in spite of my experience.

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
Well i put another Actanic(which, may i add was very needed) and replaced my older one too and not the stars look fantastic. I didnt know they looked so beautiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store