Did Earth seed life elsewhere...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Link: http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060313/full/060313-18.html

One interesting thing I found in this article relates to outerspace bacteria, and possibly other organisms that can survive entering Earth's atmosphere!
I point this out due to some believe our "scientists" did not need the protection of bio-hazard suits when handling "space particles" in a recent experiment.

---

"But could bacteria survive the sudden heat and acceleration of being thrown into space?

Other researchers at the conference suggest that they can. Wayne Nicholson, a microbiologist from the University of Florida in Gainesville, has tested the idea with a gun the size of a house at NASA's Ames Research Center.

He and his colleagues fired a marble-sized pellet at about 5 kilometres per second into a plate that contained bacterial spores in water, in order to simulate a meteorite impact. The debris that scattered upwards was caught in sheets of foam, and the team found that about one in 10,000 bacteria survived. "It's an experimental validation of a fairly well established calculation," says Moore.
"

Last edited:

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Joe...it was a comet. It's practically impossible that life could exist on a comet. And if it could it would be so radically different from life on Earth it was die a horrible death as soon as it got into our oxygen rich atmosphere.

Believe me. If there are "microbes" or the like on comets we don't need to send any ship to the comet for them to get here. Earth sails through clouds of comet ejecti all the time. Anything harmful that could come from the comets would have already of gotten here billions of years ago.

Check this out:
More recently, during the passage of Halley's Comet in 1910, the Earth passed through the comet's tail, and erroneous newspaper reports inspired a fear that cyanogen in the tail might poison millions,

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Watcher74, I still believe the scientists acted very irresponsibly. They could have used protevtive suits when dealing with unknowns. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to believe there are many unkown and dangerous, particles in space. Sure, most of it is 'rock dust', but I believe caution needs to taken when 'handling' this 'stuff'.

We don't know for a fact that comets don't have some dangerous element to them. There's no way to prove it.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
The Earth increases in weight every single year by many tons from space dust and meteors entering the atmosphere. A large percentage of this dust comes from tens of thousands of asteroids and comets.

If any microbe or bacteria-like life can exist on those and also survive the high temperatures of entry into our atmosphere we would already be infected and the results would have been felt long before even the idea of getting off this planet had ever occured.

I am holding a piece of the Sikhote-Alin meteorite right now. A large meteor that is estimated to have been from 70 to 150 tons in weight that exploded over and landed in Siberia back in February 12, 1947.

I feel fine.

Joe, I love you man. But you get a little paranoid sometimes.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
125gJoe said:
Watcher74, I still believe the scientists acted very irresponsibly. They could have used protevtive suits when dealing with unknowns. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to believe there are many unkown and dangerous, particles in space. Sure, most of it is 'rock dust', but I believe caution needs to taken when 'handling' this 'stuff'.

We don't know for a fact that comets don't have some dangerous element to them. There's no way to prove it.

Sure there is. Did the astronauts who went to the moon die after handling all those moon rocks? Besides, if they can find out if a single bacteria is on a rock I'm pretty sure they know if its going to kill them. Just remember, the Earth was once a bunch of rocks floating in space too.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
I think its backwards. I think life exists all over in the universe, and that it seeded life on earth.

Years ago, we thought black holes didnt exist, now we realized they are at the center of every galazy in the universe, and there are billions upon billions of them. I think we will find the same of life. That life exists all over, on even the most inhospitable planets.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
slipknottin said:
I think its backwards. I think life exists all over in the universe, and that it seeded life on earth. ......
I also think the title of this topic is backwards.

Watcher74 said:
If any microbe or bacteria-like life can exist on ... But you get a little paranoid sometimes.
Well, they can exist...
And, since I'm no scientist, I won't try to get too technical from the little I know :)D)... I have to let you know that other scientists spoke out on radio interviews and said it actually was 'sloppy' in not taking precautions with that type of material. I don't have names, but it's what I heard.

People in that field, they were paranoid too...

;)

I'm not making this up - believe it, or don't...

Last edited:

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
He did it again. Joe always seems to find something interesting to share with us. keep up the good work :clap: oh i almost forgot... i believe that there is life everwhere around the universe. Just becuase we can find em it dont mean they are not there. maybe we just dont have the right equipment to find/see them.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Emg said:
No One remembers "Andromeda Strain" ? :eek:

:D
Yes...
And, there's no proof this type of incident can't happen.

Whatever happens to fall to the Earth on its own is one thing. But, when scientists begin extracting 'particles' from outerspace, they should "handle with care". If caution appears to be paranoid, so be it, and take extra, safer steps - if not for them, but for the rest of us...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store