Bottom feeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Peanutsweet

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
I have a 150 gal tank.

I have 2 clown loaches.
1 albino pleco
2 kuhli loaches and
2 cory's.

Do you think that is too crowded for the bottom level?
(besides these I have a pair of swords, 2 blue guammis, 3 long finned rosy barbs, 4 bleeding hearts, 4 red eye tetras)

I bought the corys to go in my 30 gal but one of them swam all over very busy like, and scared my angels, so I moved the corys to the 150. It wasnt really the plan to have them in there.
Does a 30 really need a bottom feeder? I dont really have room for a large bottom feeder, and I dont want anything too busy to scare the angels.

cherrypie

Home Of The Punk Rock Fish
Jul 19, 2005
Perth, Australia
You can always put a bristlenose catfish in the 30, they're pretty calm fish most of the time and will clean algae of your glass as well as picking up scraps off the bottom. You'll need to put a small peice of wood in there though if you haven't got one already the wood is an essential part of their diet, it helps maintain beneficial gut bacteria.

And in the 150gal, what you have will be fine, I'd be tempted to add another clown loach and another cory of the same variety as your other two.

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
Peanutsweet said:
I have a 150 gal tank.
I have 2 clown loaches.
1 albino pleco
2 kuhli loaches and
2 cory's.
Overstocked? Hardly —*you need more. The pleco is OK as a single, but the loaches and corys would all be happier with more friends. Recommendation: Add 2 clowns, 4 kuhlis and 4-6 more corys of the same species you already have. You've got more than enough space for that group in a 150g.

Peanutsweet

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
OH!
Am I glad to hear this.
I have actually lost sleep at night thinking they are crowded and not knowing what to do.

I bought one spotted cory (before I knew they needed friends).
Went back later and got an albino thinking they would stay together in the 30.
Then the albino swam around like crazy. The spotted one just sits on the bottom. He is very active at feeding time, but other than that he is pretty calm.

Are the albinos usually more hyper than the spotted ones?
Maybe I got a fluke, LOL!

I was thinking about adding a couple albinos to the 150 and moving the spotted one to the 30 and adding some friends for him there.
I might add another clown. The two I have do swim alot together. I wondered if something happened to one of them, the other would probably die. So a trio would be smart I think.
I have a bubble wand at the bottom, and they LOVE it. Swim all over in the bubbles. They hang upside down on the tubing and take naps :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store