Filter media for DIY sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rohnds

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
Austin, TX (Born NYC)
www.geocities.com
I have trickle wet/dry sump filter under my tank via my overflow filter water drains to the sump tank and I have pump that out take the water to the tank using a PVC pipe. The problem I have is keeping this PVC pipe securly tight. The small U shaped hang over the edge of the tank but I would like to clamps this to the tank. I tried suction cups, but couldn't find a that would work? Any suggestion?

Next, What is the best filter media to use in SW tank. Right now, I have one of the chambers (middle and largest) filled with 1/2 inch bio balls. Please explain with reason.

Rohn

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
You might be able to put something together with pipe clips, like these. I just used a set to clamp my closed loop to my stand. Maybe with some foam-backed double sided tape if you can't screw it into anything.

In my opinion, live rock is the best filter medium. Excellent biological filtration, and interesting stuff grows on and in it. I would pull the bioballs out of the sump, put a small PC light over it and turn it into a refugium with macroalgae.

A wet/dry with bioballs is OK, but live rock and macroalgae will help keep nitrate, and to some extent phosphate, levels much lower.

rohnds

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
Austin, TX (Born NYC)
www.geocities.com
The problem I saw with placing love rock in the sump filter is a source of light. Wouldn't this require a source of light under my tank for the liverocks to thrive without dying?

Rohn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store