Baby oscar problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Allison Reed

Sushi Lovin' Aquarist
Dec 3, 2002
Vancouver, wa
Visit site
I have two young tiger oscars, maybe 1 to 2 inches in length. I've had them for at least a month now, and recently I noticed the smaller one laying at the bottom. He fluxuates his color alot, from his vibrant blacks and oranges to some sickly grey and red. This has only happened just recently, and it looks like he can only breath out of one gill. o_O;; The other one is doing fine, he swims around and frolicks just like a normal baby fish, and he's very healthy...both of them eat the same too. Recently the "sick" one hasn't eaten, even as food slips by him. When he tries to come up, he tends to list towards the bottom of the tank.
What's wrong with my baby? :( I need help with him, so I can know if I need to medicate them fast. They are in a 100 gallon with 2 bio wheels. I do regular monthly water changes, and sometimes every other week I have to add fresh water due to evap. The only other thing in the tank are 2 medium balas ( which the oscars harrass to death, and the balas are scared of the oscars anyways, ) two monsterous snails and a pleco...poor baby. Any help?

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I think you might need to separate the sick one into a 55 gallon tank if you have one, and keep him there fo r a while untill he recovers. If you don't have one, then try to keep the tank very clean by cleaning it every week

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store